Tapestry weaving is like painting with yarn - the creative possibilities are endless! In this workshop, you will learn the skills to create your own woven wall hangings or tapestries. We'll cover the basics of tapestry weaving on a frame loom, including how to warp your loom, basic weaving techniques, creating shapes and texture, and adding a fringe. Please note, there will not be enough time to finish your tapestry in the workshop, but you will get to take your loom home with you, as well as skills and tips to finish your piece.
Tutor details: Catherine Hallam
Catherine has been making things since she was old enough to be allowed to use scissors. From crochet to sewing, she loves it all, but it was when she first tried weaving in 2014 that she found her true craft love. Since then, she's barely put her loom down, and she is excited to spread the weaver-fever to a new group of people! You can see her work on Instagram: @misscathelizabeth
Upcoming workshop dates:
Saturday the 18th of January 1 30 pm - 5 00 pm
Where: Gloworm Studios 11 Railway Place, Fairfield VIC
To learn more about Gloworm Studios and the classes we offer please visit www.glowormstudios.com
Bookings can also be made over the phone or via email
p. 0404 092 341
Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions!
- How to warp your loom.
- Basic weaving techniques.
- Techniques for creating shapes and texture.
- A weaving kit, including a 30x40cm frame loom, a weaving shuttle and needle, and enough warp to create your first piece.
- A set of notes to backup what we'll learn in class.
- Please bring along 2 or 3 balls of 8 ply yarn to work with, in different colours (acrylic, wool or a blend is fine, but please avoid anything fluffy or textured to start with). Feel free to bring partially used balls of yarn from your own stash, as you won't get through a whole ball in this class. Some yarn will be provided, but it's always nice to work with your favourite colours.
No dress code!
Adults of all skills levels and abilities!
Vendor since 2017
Gloworm Studios is a unique art school located in the heart of Fairfield. Led by professional illustrator Marianna Marx, our programs specialise in painting, drawing and illustration. Gloworm Studios is a warm and nurturing environment where artists both young and young at heart are invited to immerse themselves in their creativity and imagination.
Marianna Marx has taught art alongside her illustration career for the past 10 years. Her experiences include working in the education department at the De Young Museum in San Francisco, an artist residency at Caulfield Grammar School, one on one art tutoring for children and adults, after school art classes, corporate workshops and working alongside artists with intellectual disabilities. Marianna has taken insight from each of these experiences to create an art school of her own where she can share her love for creative expression with others in her local community.