In this four-hour class you will gain a thorough knowledge of the varying qualities of Artists Materials available on the market today. We will take an in depth look at the history and invention of materials and how they have impacted art production. We will discuss the uses and applications of each of the following mediums/media:
Canvas, Linen and Substrates
Samples will be provided so that attendees can experiment with various techniques and find out how to achieve the effects they may want to utilise in their own practice. The aim of this lecture is to unlock the particular uses of materials and give attendees a better understanding of what materials are designed to do. It is suggested that you bring a notebook and pen to record any relevant information.
- How to choose pigments, mediums and solvents
- Selecting and caring for brushes
- Choosing substrates
- An introduction to oil painting materials and their application
- Practical demonstrations and the opportunity to experiment with a variety of materials
- Take home examples
- Morning tea
- A notebook
Casual clothes, aprons provided
Oil painters, students with some oil painting experience, conservators, art teachers
Vendor since 2013
Established in 2009 and based on the top floor of a Victorian heritage building overlooking bustling Brunswick Street, Fitzroy Painting for Beginners is the original and best of private art classes in Fitzroy! A working artists studio, the space provides a great environment to develop your painting and drawing skills with the expert support and guidance of highly qualified teachers and full-time professional artists.
Our 4 - Week Beginners Courses are designed for the complete beginner, taking you through a series of exercises and building your skills week by week as you produce paintings to take home. Students may choose to continue to our Beginners Course: Level 2. Ongoing students are supported to help develop their own direction, with optional exercises offered to expand on skills and knowledge, and our Atelier students are assisted in taking it to the next level in professional practice.
Love the class? All students wishing to extend their course may purchase 4 or 8 - week blocks for ongoing students at a discounted rate. Some of our students have gone on to Higher Education courses and are now exhibiting professionally!
Need to miss a class? We understand busy lives and offer flexibility - just let us know in advance and we'll credit you a class. (Maximum of 2 changes per 8 weeks, ongoing and Atelier students only).
Evening classes include wine and cheese, and morning classes include tea, coffee and cakes. Classes run for 3 hours and basic equipment is available for student use at the studio, including easels, aprons, palettes and drawing boards. We believe in safe studio-practice and provide low-toxic, low-odour materials for student use, as well as high-quality clean-up materials for brushes and hands. We also have storage facilities if you wish to keep your materials at the studio.
Each student works at their own pace and receives one-on-one attention, and all students are invited to exhibit in our annual end of year exhibition, a fun opportunity to show family and friends what you’ve been doing!
Visit our website for more info and pictures of student work. www.fitzroypainting.com
Course refund policy:
- Refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $30 fee deducted on all refunds due to the Weteachme processing fee.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
* Please note that you are welcome to store your materials at the studio however space is limited, so please take them home at the end of your course! Uncollected materials and paintings are disposed of at the end of the year.