Established in 2009 and run by professional artists and highly qualified teachers, Fitzroy Painting for Beginners began when a need for a ‘back to basics’ method of teaching was identified. Our studio-based classes provides a great environment to develop your painting and drawing with the support and guidance of full-time professional artists. We also have occasional guest artists teaching and running workshops.
Tuesday Night Painting Atelier: Tutor Kez Hughes
Painting Atelier is designed to provide support to artists who know the basics but want more education and assistance in the development of their chosen technique. This class will cover the history of painting and provide insight into the practical application of contemporary and traditional art materials and techniques. The Atelier class runs on Tuesday evenings only.
Students will spend the majority of their class time working on their own studio practice and will be assisted with information tailored to their specific needs in a one on one capacity. Other class projects will be formulated intermittently to provide further scope and expansion to each students set of skills. These activities will be voluntary.
About your tutor:
Kez Hughes graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts and Music in 2015 with a Bachelor of Fine Art (Hons) Painting and has gone on to lecture at the Ian Potter Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation at Melbourne University and the Victorian College of Arts and Music. In 2015 along with artist Storm Gold, Kez opened CAVES, a curated, not for profit gallery located at the Nicholas Building in Melbourne, Australia.
Where to purchase your materials: The following offer our students a 10% discount
Neil Wallace Printmaking Supplies 409 Gore St, Fitzroy Tel: (03) 9419 5949
St Luke, 32 Smith St, Collingwood Tel: (03) 9486 9992
Chapman & Bailey, 420 Johnston Street , Abbotsford Tel: (03) 9417 7957
MES, 33A St David St, Fitzroy Tel: (03) 9419 5666
- Develop skills and techniques
- This class covers the history of painting and provides insight into the practical application of art materials and techniques to further develop your practice.
- All students continue to receive feedback and support as well as optional class exercises
- Individual attention and support
- Insight into the practical application of art materials and techniques
- Assistance developing your own practice
- Gourmet refreshments
- Step-by-step guidance by professional artists
- Flexibility! If you need to miss a class just let us know in advance and you'll be credited a class. (Maximum of 2 changes per 8 weeks.)
- Your own materials (or hire a kit from us)
- Medium-tack masking tape and a few rags
Advanced students wishing to further their professional practice.
Vendor since 2013
Established in 2009 and based on the top floor of a Victorian heritage building overlooking bustling Brunswick Street, Fitzroy Painting for Beginners is the original and best of private art classes in Fitzroy! A working artists studio, the space provides a great environment to develop your painting and drawing skills with the expert support and guidance of highly qualified teachers and full-time professional artists.
Our 4 - Week Beginners Courses are designed for the complete beginner, taking you through a series of exercises and building your skills week by week as you produce paintings to take home. Students may choose to continue to our Beginners Course: Level 2. Ongoing students are supported to help develop their own direction, with optional exercises offered to expand on skills and knowledge, and our Atelier students are assisted in taking it to the next level in professional practice.
Love the class? All students wishing to extend their course may purchase 4 or 8 - week blocks for ongoing students at a discounted rate. Some of our students have gone on to Higher Education courses and are now exhibiting professionally!
Need to miss a class? We understand busy lives and offer flexibility - just let us know in advance and we'll credit you a class. (Maximum of 2 changes per 8 weeks, ongoing and Atelier students only).
Evening classes include wine and cheese, and morning classes include tea, coffee and cakes. Classes run for 3 hours and basic equipment is available for student use at the studio, including easels, aprons, palettes and drawing boards. We believe in safe studio-practice and provide low-toxic, low-odour materials for student use, as well as high-quality clean-up materials for brushes and hands. We also have storage facilities if you wish to keep your materials at the studio.
Each student works at their own pace and receives one-on-one attention, and all students are invited to exhibit in our annual end of year exhibition, a fun opportunity to show family and friends what you’ve been doing!
Visit our website for more info and pictures of student work. www.fitzroypainting.com
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date. If available, we are happy to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $30 fee deducted on all refunds.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
Uncollected materials and artworks will be disposed of at the end of each year.
Wednesday Morning Oil Painting - Expanded PracticeWed, 23 Oct 10:00AM
The Responsive Eye: An Introduction to AbstractionSun, 01 Dec 10:00AM