Insect Preservation Class - Melbourne
Rest in Pieces invites you to explore the fascinating world of Insect Preservation.
You don’t need to have any previous entomology or insect preservation knowledge to take part in this workshop. The Rest in Pieces team will teach you basic insect anatomy while guiding you through the processes of rehydration, specimen repair, pinning techniques for beetles and butterflies/moths and you will learn how to display your specimens.
At the end of the workshop, you will walk away with four pinned practice specimens: one closed-winged stag beetle, one open-winged stage beetle and two butterflies, in addition to your choice of feature specimen of either a Ulysses butterfly, a Death's-head hawkmoth or a beetle, which will be displayed in a shadow box.
Everything will be supplied on the day including all your insect specimens, tools, shadow box, an apron, lunch and a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages so that you can sit back, relax and enjoy the day. (Note, alcoholic beverages are only available for students 18+).
Please ensure you list your preference of feature specimen in the booking form.
What if you are feeling inspired and want to continue working on your new insect preservation skills in your own time? What if you want to complete another feature specimen?
--> When you register for the workshop, you can choose the workshop + take home kit.
Workshop + Take Home Kit contains:
- Your choice of feature specimen to work on - Ulysses butterfly, Death's-head hawkmoth or beetle
- Five additional practice butterflies and one additional practice beetle
- An additional shadow box
- A complete set of the same tools and materials needed for the workshop
- A set of instructions, so you can follow the same process used in the workshop
We also have other merchandise available to complement your take home kit, packets of 10 mixed butterflies, shadow boxes, larger display cases and RIP aprons.
Flexible Payment Options:
To make life easier, you have the option to choose instalment billing at checkout. We recommend booking early so your payments are spread out.
- If you are flying in for the workshop and want a take home kit, you will need to have checked luggage as sharp items will not be accepted in hand-luggage.
- Make sure you notify us of any dietary requirements when you register.
- Unfortunately, our studio is not fully accessible for wheelchair users. Do you have other accessibility requirements? Please contact us before you register for any of our workshops to make sure we can make the necessary adjustments to give you a great experience.
What you will learn
- How to rehydrate and repair specimens
- Different pinning techniques for beetles and butterflies/moths
- How to properly unpin, prepare and present your specimens
What you will get
- 4 pinned practice specimens and 1 feature specimen - Ulysses butterfly, Death's-head hawkmoth or beetle
- A glass-fronted shadow box to display your feature specimen
- All the materials and tools needed for your insect preservation experience
What to bring
- Camera or camera phone
- We will be sitting for long periods - bring a cushion if it would make you more comfortable
- A steady hand and good eye sight or glasses
What to wear
Dress in layers to suit a Melbourne warehouse climate
Anyone over the age of 16 with a curious mind and love of science, animals or art.
Taxidermy - Taxis 'arrangement' + Derma 'skin'
Natalie Delaney-John has travelled far and wide to learn the art of taxidermy and has been mentored by some of the world's best and most awarded taxidermists. She is the proud founder of Rest in Pieces, which launched Australia's first taxidermy workshops, conducts talks, demonstrations and now sells DIY kits so that you can learn this beautiful art in the comfort of your own home.
Since 2016, the Rest in Pieces team has expanded further into the 'dying arts', offering new classes and workshops aimed at preserving and presenting natural specimens.
Rest in Pieces has an average rating of 5.0 for their other classes.See other reviews
If you have purchased an item from us and it arrives damaged, we will need photo evidence and the item returned. We will then refund you or ship you out a replacement.
If you have booked a workshop ticket we understand that sometimes you just can't make a class. The best thing to do is to contact us as soon as you can to let us know. If you give us two weeks notice, we can offer to transfer you to the next scheduled class. This will incur a $10 admin fee. Transfer requests made with less than two weeks notice will incur a $50 admin fee.
If you need to cancel, with two weeks notice or more we will refund the full price of the workshop, minus $50 booking fee, less than two weeks and we will refund 50% minus
$50 booking fee.
Unfortunately we won't be able to offer refunds for cancellations or class transfers received "last minute" - the day before the workshop or on the day of the workshop.
COVID-19: If you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 and/or have been advised to self-isolate by government mandates, please let us know as soon as possible and we can offer to transfer you to a future class. In these instances, "last-minute" requests for transfers will be allowed, but will attract a $50 admin fee.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Rest in Pieces or organised by Rest in Pieces must agree to these terms and conditions:
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Rest in Pieces.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Rest in Pieces unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Rest in Pieces classes and events or on Rest in Pieces' premises. (For use of Rest in Pieces marketing materials).
See refund section.
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit. Class cancellations may occur where necessary, for example where class bookings do not meet minimum numbers.
Students agree not to attend classes if they are exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19 and/or if they have been advised to self-isolate in line with government restrictions.