Understanding Dog Behaviour. Course Code: RSV201UDB7.
Understanding dog behaviour will help you establish a lifelong friendship with your canine companion. You’ll learn what makes your dog tick and how to manage certain behaviours.
Register your interest in this course: RSPCA Short Courses
About this course:
Ever wondered why dogs behave the way they do? Want to know how to use positive training techniques to teach new skills and behaviours? Work with our skilled Educators to take your understanding of dogs to the next level. You’ll discover how dogs learn and how their body structure and temperament might have an impact on the way they interact with the world. You’ll discover how behaviours are learnt, shaped and reinforced. This course is perfect for those wanting to get their paw in the door of the animal industry, or already working within the field, as well as helping people to increase skills with their own pets at home. This is an advanced course that assumes you have a basic understanding of how dogs communicate. If you want to start with a beginner course first, consider Reactive Rovers or Stop Doing That.
- Please arrive at the Burwood East Education Centre 10 minutes before your class to register and so that we can start on time. Parking is available on site.
- Meet and work with our experienced Education staff and their animals, along with industry experts, throughout the session for practical, hands-on skill development.
- Work through a detailed course book (yours to keep) with theoretical, scientific and clinical information based on our years of experience in animal welfare and caring for dogs.
- BYO lunch or take advantage of our fantastic on-site café!
- We may be spending some time outside and touring around, so please bring weather appropriate clothing.
What you will learn
- Identify dog behaviours and their development
- Get an overview of the historical and scientific basis of different training methods
- How to train skills and new behaviours in the dogs with which you live and work
What you will get
- A hands-on, practical class – meet and work with our Education dogs as well as and industry experts and qualified trainers
- Informative and fun session to increase your knowledge and skills
- Detailed course manual to take home
- RSPCA take home bag
- An engaging and informative session to increase your knowledge and skills
- Certificate of Participation
- Complimentary morning and afternoon tea
What to bring
- BYO lunch or take advantage of our fantastic on-site café and $10 student lunch special.
What to wear
We may be spending some time outside and touring around, so please bring weather appropriate clothing.
For those working with dogs, dog training instructors new to the role and pet owners interested in advancing their training skills. Attendees must be 16 years or older. This course assumes basic knowledge of dog behaviour prior to commencement.
Vendor since 2016
Want to improve your animal skills? Looking for quality teaching by industry experts? Want real skills and training?
Whether you’re a pet owner or thinking of a career in animal care, RSPCA Victoria has a short course to extend your animal skills and understanding.
Designed to develop new skills for anyone dealing with animals; RSPCA short courses provide valuable access to industry experts and utilise quality resources and trainers in an informative and hands-on environment.
As the trusted name in animal welfare in Victoria, we understand what animals need, and what works and what doesn’t – and are keen to share our practical knowledge and skills with you through.
Gain professional skills. Learn about your pet. Or both!
Programs are tailored for those wanting to enter the animal industry or improve their skills within this field, as well as helping people to increase their skills with their own pets.
Hands-on experience is essential to understanding animals so you will have the chance to meet and work with – animals from our education team – as well as learn from industry experts and qualified trainers.
And of course, profits raised go towards supporting animal welfare projects. You’re helping animals while you learn to… help animals!
So book your course with us today.
About RSPCA Victoria
We are a non-government, community based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection. RSPCA Victoria was established in Melbourne in 1871. Since this time, the RSPCA has become Australia's leading animal welfare charity.
Our community services include work in education, advocacy, animal care and protection. In Victoria, we operate nine animal Adoption Care Centres and one community pet care centre, providing refuge and care to more than 20,000 animals every year.
As a not-for-profit organisation, we rely on community support to care for 'all creatures great and small'. More than 90% of our funding is due to the generous support of the Victorian community.
For further information, visit www.rspcavic.org
The following booking conditions apply:
- If the Booking is cancelled more than 30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, the full fee will be refunded;
- If the Booking is cancelled 14 -30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, 50% of the full fee will be refunded; and
- If the Booking is cancelled less than 14 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, there will be no refund.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions
- Participants must be 16 years or older (excluding Animal Career Discovery Day where this is 'Year 9 or above').
- Program activities are conducted by RSPCA Victoria Education Officers and staff. RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to alter activities or cease programs should staff and participant safety be compromised.
- Cancellation fees apply.
- For safety reasons, participants must wear appropriate clothing and closed-in shoes.
- RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to cancel the class should minimum numbers not be met. A full refund will apply in these circumstances.
Participants will be involved in a range of hands-on activities visiting various parts of the Burwood East site. While the RSPCA takes all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of participants, all participants enter at own risk.
By enrolling in these programs you acknowledge that you understand this disclaimer and release RSPCA (Victoria) and its employees, agents, volunteers and contractors from any liability whatsoever, to the extent permitted by law.