UnEarthed | Sand Casting with Sapphires
An intensive 7 hour workshop with Kirra-lea Caynes
For the first time this Spring we bring you UnEarthed, a very special workshop presented by guest tutor Kirra-lea Caynes.
In this one day workshop, Kirra, with her passion for raw materials and natural phenomena, will guide you through the process of designing and sand-casting your own sterling silver jewellery pieces or small objects with cast-in-place sapphires or gemstones.
Over three days in September, Kirra-lea will lead three one day workshops designed to cater to both novices with no previous jewellery experience and more experienced jewellers who are interested in adding to their skill set. Students will complete the workshop inspired, with a sense of accomplishment and with jewellery pieces polished and ready to wear.
MEET YOUR TUTOR
Kirra-lea is a qualified jeweller with over 10 years experience in the trade, having learnt many traditional and contemporary metal smithing techniques. She is a multi-award winning jewellery designer and manufacturer, winning competitions including The JAA Jewellery Awards and DGA Design Awards. She was recently won the colour category and the title of Jeweller of the Year in the 2019 JAA Design competition.
Based in Melbourne, Australia Kirra-lea works as the sole manufacturer and designer from her home studio. Kirra-lea is also an accomplished sand caster and specialises in cast-in-place rough sapphires. This unique skill has enabled her to travel around Australia teaching fellow jewellers and novices alike the ancient technique. All her rough sapphires are Australian mined by small family businesses and hobbyists. Kirra-lea also makes fossicking trips to Tasmania where she finds her own rough gemstones in the pristine North East rivers.
SquarePeg Studios is delighted to welcome Kirra-lea as a guest tutor for the first time in 2020.
- The ancient craft of sand casting silver with sapphires or gemstones set in place.
- 30 grams of silver
- Sapphires - synthetic or natural
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- A Selection of teas, coffee and biscuits.
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Ideas and creativity
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg. All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
Perfect for those starting out on their jewellery making journey or students wishing to expand their skills in sand casting.
Vendor since 2016
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for our refund policy. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com.
- The course fees must be paid in full or as a pay in instalments plan on enrolment and are non-refundable.
- In the event that a course is cancelled or oversubscribed, the course fees less the 4.5% non-refundable booking fee may be refunded, alternatively SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the full fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
- Our courses are open to students 16 years and older, Jewellery Studio Bench access is open to students 18 years and older.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits are issued for non attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Some of our courses require prior learning, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as at 1 May, 2020.
Subject to change as per Government directives.
- In the event a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next date on which the course or workshop is scheduled, and notify the student of the change in a timely manner.
- In the case that the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue. No refunds will be permitted.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to latest Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors with regard to physical distancing, wearing of masks and appropriate hygiene measures whilst attending SquarePeg Studios.
- Students must not attend SquarePeg studios if they are unwell, have been in contact with a person that has tested positive to Covid-19 or returned from overseas within the past two weeks.