This class takes the core foundations of this acting process to new levels. The aim is strongly build listening skills. The exercises and processes put actors in charge of their choices. You will acquire clear and practical techniques that you can manage effectively. The sessions start with improvisations that expose the reality of an actor's listening skills and provide the techniques to develop listening to a higly sophisticated level.
The techniques are great exercises but also great rehearsal tools and are equally valuable when managing a live performance. The improv exercises are then applied to working with a script and build skills that are wonderfullly spontaneous.
The final exercise is to do a general audition with a professional Casting Director (usually Nick Hamon from Nick Hamon Casting).
- To build real listening skills ... because listen is the key foundation to all acting
- Learn to trust your impulses and be believably real
- Be able to change character and story ingredients incredibly quickly
- Record your scenes to take home each night to measure your improvements
- Be assessed by a professional casting director at the end of the term
- Come to grips with an acting process that is totally logical and produces wonderfully creative performances
- Learn to standout from the crowd
- Learn how to measure your performances so you can adjust them with ease
- Know what to do when you first read your scene
- The ability to work confidently because you are in charge of your process
- Bring your acting diary so you can take notes.
- Bring a USB stick to record your work or an SD Card for the camera (ask for details of SD Card)
If you have done the Introductory Workshop this workshop is the next step. However if you are an experienced actor with basic knowledge of Stanislavski processes you might choose to start at this level.
Vendor since 2017
The Rehearsal Room is run by TV Director Richard Sarell who directed television drama for more than 25 years. During that time, he evolved an approach to acting that trains actors in techniques that enable them to compete and survive in the modern world of screen performance.
The techniques are based on simple principles that quickly produce professional results. They enable the actor to create complex real characters that are perfect for the screen but are also relevant for the stage. These classes enable actors to make choices that drive the character's interactions in a way that generates a compelling dramatic performance. The actors skill is to engage an audience because they feel they are watching a real life interaction. These classes provide the tools to deliver those outcomes.
Richard has been conducting workshops for professional actors in Australia and New Zealand for two decades, working with institutions such as the Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS), Australian Screen Directors Association (ASDA), National Theatre Drama School, Federation University and the Victorian College of the Arts (VCA).
Once a payment has been made no refunds are available. However, your payment may be able to be transferred to another or future class if a suitable one is available.
The Rehearsal Room provides a supportive environment to enable you to learn quickly and make clear progress. If you have to miss a class it might be possible for you to come an hour earlier for the next week's session to catch you up on the theory that you have missed. Two free one hour catch up sessions are included in your term fee. After that you may have to pay for a private catch up lesson at $70 per hour. Early notification if you can't attend a class is always helpful. That way we can plan ahead.