Make a silver ring - Wax carving + Sand Casting
(Private Dates Available)
This is a 5 hour workshop where you will be guided through the steps to design and create your own organic style sterling silver ring, using a combination of traditional wax-carving and sand-casting techniques.
THE WORKSHOP IS BROKEN DOWN INTO THREE SECTIONS
1. Designing and carving your mould in the form of a wax ring
2. Sand-casting your wax mould into metal
3. Cleaning and polishing your casting to a finished product, of which you will take home with you.
- All tools & materials
- 20 grams of recycled 925 sterling silver to create your ring of a finished product value of up to $200
- Refreshments provided
- A supportive and fun environment where you will gain insight into the ancient craft of jewellery making
- Any additional silver, if required, will be charged at $3.50 per gram and payable on the day.
ABOUT YOUR TUTORS
Aurora, originally from Canada, is mostly self-taught but also apprenticed under Denise + Holly Ryan where she gained experience inthe gold-smithing world. Aurora's interest in sustainability in her craft led her to sand-casting, the technique in what she uses tocreate her works. She will be demonstrating the sand-casting component of the workshop.
Amy Gopperth, originally from NZ, studied Fine Art with a metals + silversmithing major in Melbourne. She currently runs herjewellery label A M Y G O L D with which she predominantly works in the lost-wax casting method. Amy will be taking you throughthe wax carving component of the workshop.
Aurora and Amy x
What you will learn
- Learn the ancient techniques of wax carving and Sand casting and make from scratch your own recycled sterling silver ring!
What you will get
- All tools and material included, as well as snacks, refreshments and good vibes. You will leave with your own recycled sterling silver ring.
Our studio is located at the back of the 3 Seagulls cafe, access via Surfers Parade. Enter the backyard around the back of the cafe, follow the path and we are up the stairs, on level 2. There is ample street parking on Surfers Parade or Harbord Rd.
What to bring
- Just bring yourself
What to wear
Long pants, enclosed shoes and long hair in a hair tie.
This is a class open to anyone interested in jewellery making. No previous experience required.
Join teachers Amy and Aurora in their Mexican inspired Freshwater studio for zero waste, hands on jewellery making classes. Using the ancient techniques of wax carving and sand-casting, they will teach you some valuable and fundamental silversmithing skills to create one of a kind recycled sterling silver jewellery.
You'll love their quirky and kitsch studio as well as their approachable and inclusive teaching style.
The course is perfect for anyone, no matter how creative (or not) you are..
See you there!
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A transfer can be requested anytime before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at BATCH WORKSHOPS or organised by BATCH WORKSHOPS must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by BATCH WORKSHOPS
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give BATCH WORKSHOPS unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at BATCH WORKSHOPS classes and events or on BATCH WORKSHOPS premises. (For use of BATCH WORKSHOPS marketing materials).