Shay Downer is an exceptional portrait artist, who shares her practiced skills in charcoal in this 3 week workshop.
A structured workshop that explores the technical aspects of portraiture & specialises in the charcoal medium. Shay will demonstrate specific materials, effects and encourage you to find your own pace. (class exercises can be readily adjusted based on the skill level of participants)
During this workshop you will explore:
- The basic rules of facial proportions
- Cranial masses and their influences on the appearance of head and face
- Ways of measuring to observe more accurately
- Understanding the facial features in detail
- Tone, shape, contour, light and shadows to create 3D portraits
- Rendering techniques in charcoal
- • The basic rules of facial proportions • Cranial masses and their influences on the appearance of head and face • Ways of measuring to observe more accurately • Understanding the facial features in detail • Tone, shape, contour, light and shadows to create 3D portraits • Rendering techniques in charcoal
- Practical experience drawing and working with charcoal, demonstrations from experienced portrait artist and cheese & wine
- Suggested materials to bring: • A3 size sketchbook or cartridge / litho paper • Graphite pencil • Compressed charcoal &/or charcoal pencil • Willow charcoal • Soft brush • Kneadable & hard erasers
Casual, but maybe bring an apron, you could get messy!
Anyone interested in drawing portraits, both experienced and beginner welcome.
Vendor since 2015
Situated in the stimulating Collingwood Arts Precinct, Cambridge Studio Gallery was established in 2007 and is located in a heritage listed building that utilizes its unique space to present art in an intimate manner.
Cambridge Studio Gallery encourages the importance of taking part and experiencing the arts in its myriad forms. The gallery believes that interaction with the arts is integral to our national identity and psyche. To support this Cambridge Studio Gallery holds Artist Talks, Art Classes and an Annual Portrait Prize that provides emerging artists with the all-important opportunity to exhibit. The gallery also assists the intellectually disabled community by providing a regular exhibition space.
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Cambridge Studio Gallery or organised by Cambridge Studio Gallery must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Cambridge Studio Gallery.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Cambridge Studio Gallery unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Cambridge Studio Gallery classes and events or on Cambridge Studio Gallery's premises. (For use of Cambridge Studio Gallery marketing materials).
Cambridge Studio Gallery requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund or transfer.
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.
CONDITIONS OF ENROLMENT
Enrol on or before the enrolmentdeadline to secure a place. Allenrolments must beaccompanied by a completedapplication form and the fullcourse fee. Cambridge StudioGallery (CSG) reserves the rightto change or cancel any coursedue to unforseen circumstances.
CSG will undertake to provide atleast 3 days notice in the case ofa course cancellation. Notice ofcancellation will be by phone oremail. Please ensure all contactdetails are correct on enrolmentforms. All student fees will befully refunded.
No refund is offered on CSGclasses due to materials andmodel hire expenses. THISINCLUDES MAKE-UP CLASSES.(none of which can be offeredanymore)
Students with Disabilities
If you require assistance, pleasediscuss your needs with CSGbefore enrolling.