The Jane Annois Terracotta Slipware Workshop
This is a very special opportunity to learn from one of Australia's leading terracotta earthenware artists. Well respected and very highly regarded both nationally and internationally for her work, Jane is one of Australia's leading advocate for ceramics and her positivity and wonderful personality brings many smiles and fun to be with!
What you will learn
This a 2 day workshop where Jane will demonstrate throwing various forms, some hand building and joining of thrown and hand built components . All her pieces are made with terracotta clay then using slips as decoration and as a base for glazes. The terracotta clay provides a deep red base for the slips which reflect the rich colours of the glazes.
Jane will demonstrate various techniques with slip application and some ideas for decoration.
Participants will have the opportunity to make their own pieces on Saturday afternoon, finish them on Sunday morning and apply slips on Sunday afternoon.
The workshop will be a mix of demonstrations and guidance of individual work.
Jane will also be showing images of ceramics from other ceramists who use similar techniques, particularly in France.
About Jane Annois
Jane Annois is a ceramic artist living in Warrandyte on the outskirts of Melbourne. She has been a potter for over 30 years working in both raku and terre vernissee [terracotta slipware]. Jane has taught ceramics in schools, TAFE colleges and given workshops around Australia and overseas.
For the past 20 years Jane has taken specialist tours to France, many with a ceramic focus. She has exhibited in France regularly. She has been running the Pottery Expo in Warrandyte for 22 years, a festival of contemporary Australian ceramics with international guests.
Jane is a member of the International Academy of Ceramics [Geneva].
Dates: Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th of April 2023 10am-4pm
The cost of the masterclass includes:
* Earthenware terracotta clay
*access to wheels plus studio tools & use of studio batts
*storage and safe drying of your work
* your own Hake brushes to decorate with
*Slip to decorate the earthenware with
* Tea and coffee provided
Not included in the masterclass fees: firing service or firing of your pieces. Cost is $20/kg that includes bisque and glaze firing.
--- Lunch is not provided, however the Boulevard Restaurant at Montsalvat is open 9.30am - 3.30pm. For bookings please call (03) 9431 2681.
Places for the masterclass are limited to 10 people only. So book in today to guarantee your place for this exciting and rare opportunity to learn from Jane!
Clay Talk reserves the right to cancel the workshop:
- if a minimum number of people have not booked 7 days before the workshop.
- If there is a health order directive to isolate prior to or during the workshop.
Upon booking please pay attention to Clay Talk Terms and Conditions and Conditions of Entry.
What you will learn
- Learn how to throw & decorate eartheanware terracotta vessels
What you will get
- Clay, slip & tools provided
What to bring
- Your own pottery tools
What to wear
Must be able to wedge & centre clay alone
The Clay Talk Ceramics Centre in Montsalvat is a ceramics facility located in the grounds of Montsalvat – Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community. The studio is an addition to Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced.
At Clay Talk, we aim to be a creative environment that brings students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs. Currently we offer classes where you can learn wheel throwing and hand building at all stages of development supplemented by specialist programs and workshops taught by established artists.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS
To secure your place in a class, course or workshop we require full payment at the time of booking.
Bookings are only accepted through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Payment of class, course or workshop fees can only be made through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Clay Talk studio is located on the grounds of Montsalvat. For this reason there are security measures in place to prevent trespassing and maintain your safety. Upon booking you should receive an Information Kit which has instructions on how to access Clay Talk studio.
REFUNDS / ABSENCE / TRANSFERS
- We DO NOT offer refunds or transfers if you change your mind. Please be sure you are able to commit to the class, course or workshop dates and times prior to booking.
- We do not offer 'make-up classes'. We might be able to offer alternative arrangements if you cannot attend class by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org to check if you are eligible within 5 working days of missing your class . Retrospective requests will not be accepted. Studio Access times are NOT make-up classes.
- Clay Talk reserves the right to cancel a class due to unforeseen circumstances such as insufficient enrolments. You will be notified prior to the class if cancellation of the class is deemed necessary and a pro-rata refund will be provided.
In the event of a lockdown or restrictions causing unavoidable or unforeseen interruption to the delivery of classes and workshops Clay Talk will endeavour to provide rescheduled classes and workshops.
In the event that students cannot attend the classes, students must email email@example.com as soon as possible prior to the commencement of the rescheduled class or workshop. If a student is unable to attend the rescheduled classes or workshop Clay Talk may, at its absolute discretion, provide either a credit note or a pro-rata refund (minus an administration fee of 10%).
Gift vouchers are only available through our online portal www.claytalk.weteachme.com/. Gift vouchers can be purchased for a minimum of $20 and are valid for 3 years from purchase. Gift vouchers can be only be used for booking classes, courses and/or workshops at Clay Talk through our online portal. Gift vouchers can be applied at check out when booking a class, course or workshop.
FIRING OF WORK
Most workshops include firing and glazing of a specific number of pieces. Check the workshop listing description on our online platform. Students participating in one-off workshops must label their pieces with the name associated with their booking/ticket.
We take extreme care with your work but accidents do happen and we are unable to guarantee that your work will be successfully fired. Clay Talk takes no responsibility for failure or breakage of work.
- Firing of 2.5kg of finished work per student is included in the term class fee.
- Students can make and fire more work over this limit however additional charges apply.
- Students must label each of their pieces with their Makers Mark (your Makers Mark is made up of the initials of your first, middle & last name and your class code e.g. John Adam Smith = JAS). No Makers Mark will mean your work will not be fired.
If a kiln shelf is badly damaged from your work due to incorrect glaze type or clay body, you will be charged for the cost of replacing that shelf.
- If your work damages the interior of the kiln, you will be required to pay a fine based on the severity of the damage to be determined by the Clay Talk Studio Coordinator.
COLLECTION OF WORK
- Firing, glazing and packaging of your work takes approximately 2-4 weeks after your class/workshop.
- You will be notified by email when your work is ready for collection.
- Student work must be collected within 1 month of being notified. Students will be notified by email to the email address provided upon booking. If fired work, leftover clay and/or tools are not collected within this time it will be disposed of or donated to Clay Talk Fundraising.
More From Clay Talk Ceramic Centre
Handbuilding with Mary-lou Pittard - TERM CLASSHandbuilding with Mary-lou Pittard - TERM CLASS
AU$630.00Eltham, VICTue, 11 Jul 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Discover Wheel Throwing - Wed AM - TERM CLASSDiscover Wheel Throwing - Wed AM - TERM CLASS
AU$571.00Eltham, VICWed, 12 Jul 10:00AM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Teen Clay Classes (ages 12 - 18) - TERM CLASSTeen Clay Classes (ages 12 - 18) - TERM CLASS
from AU$40.00Eltham, VICWed, 12 Jul 4:00PM (AEST) (+1 more)Accepts private bookings
Other classes you might like
Create a Comic BookCreate a Comic Book
AU$55.00Live via ZoomWed, 14 Jun 4:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Zentangle Potrait ArtZentangle Potrait Art
AU$60.00Live via ZoomThu, 03 Aug 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Anime and Manga Drawing Course for All!Anime and Manga Drawing Course for All!
AU$155.00Live via ZoomSun, 06 Aug 1:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Paint a Pop Art Portrait on CanvasPaint a Pop Art Portrait on Canvas
AU$84.00Live via ZoomSun, 18 Jun 1:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Winter Watercolour Landscape for BeginnersWinter Watercolour Landscape for Beginners
from AU$35.00Live via ZoomSat, 24 Jun 11:00AM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Make Flower Figure PostcardsMake Flower Figure Postcards
AU$86.00Live via ZoomSun, 25 Jun 3:00PM (AEST) (+1 more)Accepts private bookings
Learn to Paint Retro Inspired PortraitsLearn to Paint Retro Inspired Portraits
AU$83.00Live via ZoomWed, 26 Jul 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Make Mini Plant Pots at HomeMake Mini Plant Pots at Home
AU$95.00Live via ZoomSun, 30 Jul 1:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Anime Art for KidsAnime Art for Kids
AU$54.00Live via ZoomTue, 01 Aug 4:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Learn to Make Rhinestone PortraitsLearn to Make Rhinestone Portraits
AU$80.00Live via ZoomWed, 21 Jun 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings