Learn to Spin Silk with Tony Meskauskas
“Silk! The name conjures up images of rich colours, luxurious fabrics and shimmery smooth yarn.”
But, what’s the best way to start spinning this fibre called silk.
Come spend a day exploring in a practical way of spinning Mulberry bricks and tops and wild silks Tussah, bleached Tussah, white and red Eri and Muga.
We’ll talk about silk Noil, Caps and throwsters Waste.
So let’s have fun and take a journey through the luxurious world of silk.
A materials fee of $25 payable in cash to the tutor will cover supplies for the day.
What you will learn
- You will learn the basics of spinning and plying the different silks.
- You will also learn the different characteristics of commercial grown Mulberry silk and the wild silks.
What you will get
- Silk Fibre kit, cost $25.00 to be paid to the tutor on the day
- Confidence and skills to spin beautiful silk yarns
- Expert tuition in a small group
Entry to parking is from the shared driveway with Brush Farm Corrective Services Academy. Drive to the rear of the house and park in the bays.
What to bring
- Spinning wheel with at least 3-5 ratios on the whorl, lazy kate, niddy noddy, bobbins (All equipment should be in good working order)
- $25 in cash for the materials fee
What to wear
Experienced spinners only: You must be able to spin & ply a basic yarn.
Your Tutor - Tony Meskauskas
I’m a spinner, weaver, botanical contact printer and dyer. Exhibitions. Facebook Audimas Weavers Instagram tonyaudimasweavers
The Guild brings together people who practise the arts of hand weaving, spinning and associated crafts and fosters and encourages the crafts by instruction, discussion and exhibition.
Joining the Guild has many benefits. These include:
- Discounted prices for workshops
- Use of the library
- Equipment hire
- Special interest group membership eg: Weavers Interest group, Tapestry Interest group, Braids Plus, Spinning
- Invitations to members-only events.
Email: email@example.com for an application form.
Membership rates are for one calendar year starting 1 January and ending 31 December. New members joining from 1 October receive the balance of the current year for free when purchasing next year’s membership.
Membership, single, with emailed Guild News — $50.
If you would like a posted Guild News there is an additional $25.00.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 14 days before class starts. Free of charge.
- A transfer can be requested 14 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 14 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Secure your booking by paying according to the terms and conditions.
Most courses have requirement lists and a materials fee payable to your tutor in class.
Location of Workshops
Most workshops will be held at the Hand Weavers and Spinners Guild at Brush Farm House, 19 Lawson St, Eastwood. There is parking behind the house. Public transport is by bus accessed from Eastwood or Parramatta stations.
Participants should arrive 30 minutes prior to class commencing. The venue must be cleaned up within 30 minutes of class finishing.
Discounts on Workshops
Network Groups: For each course, one member may pay at the member’s rate on confirmation of their financial status by their group and its approval.
Knitters Guild NSW: We have a reciprocal arrangement with the Knitters Guild whereby their members may enroll at members’ prices and vice versa.