DRAWING STUDIO 1
Drawing Studio: Tutor Julian Aubrey Smith
Learn to see differently! Our new Drawing Studio programme offers a series of drawing projects exploring a range of drawing methods, materials and techniques suitable for beginners and those wanting a refresher.
- an introduction to drawing materials and their uses
- how to see and describe tonal values
- composition and proportions
- rendering techniques to accurately describe form
- line and mark-making
- formal and exploratory drawing techniques
This class is open to all levels including COMPLETE BEGINNERS. There will be demonstrations and one-on-one guidance throughout the course.
All materials and refreshments are supplied.
About your tutor:
Julian Aubrey Smith is an artist based in Melbourne. His practice is propelled by mining the conventions of traditional realist painting for new permutations. He graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from RMIT University in 2003 and completed a Master of Fine Arts (Visual Art) at the Victorian College of the Arts in 2014.
He is the recipient of the 2014 Nino Sanciolo Prize, an Australian Postgraduate Award and an Australia Council for the Arts New Work Grant. He has taught at Latrobe College, RMIT University, The University of Melbourne and the Victorian College of the Arts.
What you will learn
- Drawing simple shapes and basic perspective
- Describing pictorial space and rendering of form using line and tone
- How to use a range of drawing materials and techniques
What you will get
- Insight into the practical application of art materials and techniques
- Practical demonstrations and one-on-one guidance
- Refreshments including wine and cheese
Parking is ticketed in Brunswick St but there are some 2-4 hour spots in the surrounding streets.
There is all-day parking around the Edinburgh Gardens in Fitzroy North, a 15-minute walk down Brunswick St. The No 11 tram comes down Brunswick St, get off at stop 15. All-day parking on Brunswick St is a flat fee of $12 on Sundays only.
What to bring
- All drawing materials are supplied.
What to wear
Your own apron, art smock or painting shirt.
Complete beginners and students wanting to refresh or develop drawing skills
About us: Established in 2009 and based in a Victorian heritage building overlooking bustling Brunswick Street, Fitzroy Painting is the original and best of private art classes in Fitzroy! A working artists studio, the space provides a great environment to develop your painting and drawing skills with the expert support and guidance of highly qualified teachers and full-time professional artists.
Our 4 - week beginners courses in oil painting, drawing and watercolours are designed for the complete beginner, taking you through a series of exercises and building your skills week by week. Students may choose to continue to our Beginners Courses Level 2 in both painting and drawing.. Ongoing students are supported to help develop their own direction, with optional exercises offered to expand on skills and knowledge, and our Atelier students are assisted in taking it to the next level in professional practice.
Love the class? All students wishing to extend their course may purchase class-passes for ongoing students at a discounted rate. Some of our students have gone on to Higher Education courses and are now exhibiting professionally!
Evening classes include wine and refreshments, and morning classes include tea, coffee and cakes. Classes run for 3 hours and basic equipment is available for student use at the studio, including easels, palettes and drawing boards. We believe in safe studio-practice and provide low-toxic, low-odour materials for student use, as well as high-quality clean-up materials for brushes and hands. We also have storage facilities if you wish to keep your materials at the studio.
Each student works at their own pace and receives one-on-one attention, and all students are invited to exhibit in our annual end of year exhibition, a fun opportunity to show family and friends what you’ve been doing!
Visit our website for more info and pictures of student work. www.fitzroypainting.com
Cancellations & Refunds
Course refund policy: Please read carefully
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses. Please consider taking up the Weteachme insurance option when booking if you have any concern that you may need to cancel.
- There is no charge to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 14 days notice. A $25 fee will be applied for transfers with less than 14 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 7 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 7 days before the course commencement date.
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Should a course booked need to be postponed a credit voucher will be issued and the class or workshop rescheduled.
- Students uncertain of their ability to attend are encouraged to take out the Weteachme cancellation policy at checkout. This policy allows you to cancel and receive a full refund, including the insurance fee.
Terms & Conditions
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Fitzroy Painting is unable to offer ‘make-up’ classes for our Beginners Oil Painting or Drawing Level 1 & 2 classes.
Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit voucher for a replacement class, course or workshop.
Collection of work and materials left at the studio: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Beginners work and painting kits will only be retained for one month after which they will be disposed of.
All students must be fully vaccinated, the safety of our students, staff and community is our utmost priority. If you are at all unwell, please get tested and stay at home until you receive your results.
If you or someone whom you have been in close contact with exhibits symptoms of COVID-19 or is a confirmed case after you make your booking and prior to commencing your course/workshop please contact us and we will convert your booking to a credit note if you are unable to attend on the date booked.
If you develop symptoms after commencing your course you must contact us as soon as possible and stop attending classes. We will arrange make-up classes for you.
You agree to abide by all physical distancing, health protocols and the studio’s COVID-Safe plan.
You agree to follow the instructions of the tutors at all times.
If you do not comply with protocols, or authorised requests, you will be asked to leave immediately without refund or further recourse.