What: Shibori Fabric Dyeing Workshop
Where: 1/10 Langwells Parade, Northcote
Includes: All materials, grazing food, organic wine & fairtrade tea
Learn about the surprising art of Japanese inspired shibori, a resist dyeing method of creating crisp and organic patterns on cloth. In this workshop, we will be using methods including, Itajime - folding and clamping, Arashi - pole wrapping and Ori-nui - hand stitched pleating. Experiment with different techniques throughout the workshop on cotton fabric with our class indigo vat and choose your favourite to dye a linen tea-towel or hemp/cotton tote bag to take home. On the day there will be extra tea-towels and tote bags to purchase for yourself or to give away as gifts. Leave feeling inspired and with the knowledge to continue shibori dyeing fabric at home with recycled materials and plant dyes you probably already have!
Roz Slade is a Melbourne textile designer and maker interested in supporting society’s deep social connection to textiles and nurturing an interest in the therapeutic act of hand-making. After graduating Textile Design and Development at RMIT, where she majored in weave and printmaking, she stepped away from the ethical drift of fast fashion and textile waste, to create a modest range of high-quality products featuring sustainable methods and ethically sourced materials under the brand Be Kind Textiles.
Spending the following years exploring every craft within her reach in her own personal practice, she is sharing her results and a lifelong love of art and textiles with willing students.
We create a beautiful, warm atmosphere to make you feel at home in our cosy, plant filled studio. We encourage attendees to slow down, share stories and take the opportunity to connect with others in our community.
We are proud to support local artists, ethical businesses and community groups and we consider our impact on the earth it’s people in every aspect of our business. We are always learning and improving our processes.
All workshop topics available as a customised private workshop with a min of x10 at our studio or at a location of your choice. We also offer sustainable event management, catering - grazing tables, lighting & floristry. We cater for all diets - vegan, lactose & gluten free.
Put Your Heart Into It lives at 1/10 Langwells Parade, Northcote - just off High Street. The best way to reach us is on the 86 tram, heading towards Bundoora.
Alight at stop 34 (Bent St/High St) and continue along High Street in the same direction before turning right onto Langwells Parade.
Number 10 is located a few buildings down on your right hand side, and our studio at number 1 is on your left once inside the front door. We are an 8 minute walk from Northcote Train Station, and if you are driving, there is ample parking available in the Northcote Plaza car park. We also have a bike rack inside! We look forward to meeting you.
- Shibori resist dyeing techniques
- How to dye fibre with natural dyestuffs, including info on mordanting & fabric care, about Indigo dye and how to create an indigo vat
- How to plan intentional designs with fabric dye
- Information sheet with techniques used during the workshop
- Homespun cotton fabric that you have hand dyed with various patterns
- A linen tea towel or tote bag dyed with your own dyed design
- A grazing table of local produce for afternoon tea including wine, tea and coffee.
- Just yourself
Clothes you don't mind getting a little dirty
Vendor since 2015
Put Your Heart Into It is a collaborative team hosting insightful and creative events and workshops in and around Melbourne, Surf Coast and travel all over Australia to host events. Our mission is to create sustainable and eco-conscious experiences that not only inspire but aim to promote a slower lifestyle, where simplicity and community involvement are cultivated as well as nurturing a hands-on approach to getting creative.
Events and workshops are run in ever-changing and intricately styled spaces that are sure to inspire and promote creativity. Each experience offers you the chance to meet some incredible new people, graze on delicious, sustainable and locally sourced produce as well as gaining a wealth of knowledge to set you on your path to creativity.
Our team includes an array of artists and professionals that have worked within their fields of expertise for many years, so as to offer you the best knowledge possible. We love collaborating with non for profit and ethically minded businesses, community groups and schools and can customise a creative event or workshop to suit your needs.
Experiences can be as simple or complex as required and we can offer a diverse range of disciplines and creative pursuits. The Put Your Heart Into It team can create an all-round experience that will leave everyone feeling inspired. For more information on our workshops and events, as well as tailored experiences, please get in touch.
We also offer eco-conscious event planning services, customised hens parties, workshops for corporates and birthdays. As well as our popular catering service of intricately styled grazing tables of local & organic produce, wedding and event styling including floristry installations.
Please refer to clause (1) of our Terms & Conditions.
Terms and Conditions
This contract outlines an agreement and includes all contractional obligations on even date between Put Your Heart Into It and the You the Customer in regard to the Workshop to which this booking confirmation pertains.
(1) All bookings are Non-Refundable
(2) All Bookings are Transferable to a second party in the event that the customer is unable to attend the workshop, such transfers must be requested 7 hours prior to the Workshop for desired transfers to be eligible.
(3) In the rare event that Put Your Heart Into It is required to cancel a Workshop the customer will receive either a full refund within 3 days of said cancellation or the opportunity to transfer said booking to another Put Your Heart Into It workshop of even value within 12 (twelve) months of said cancellation.
(4) Cancellations may be advised by Put Your Heart Into It at any time prior to the Workshop event.
(5) Put Your Heart Into It reserves the right to use any images taken at the workshops for Social Media & Advertising, if you wish for images not to be shared Put Your Heart Into It requests same to be expressed in writing prior to Workshop event.
(6) In the Event that you do not agree with the above Terms & Conditions you may request a full refund within 48 hours of even date of receipt of this booking confirmation.