Learn how to water-gild from start to finish; from the foundational preparation of the surface, to the leaf laying and burnishing and to the sealing and toning of the water-gilding. The class will involve live and interactive demonstrations of water-gilding from gilder and artisan frame maker Reuben Rich. Students will spend most of their class time working hands-on with guidance and support. Students will receive a box in the mail full of ingredients, specialised tools, instructions and recipes for water-gilding and prepared surfaces for use in the class time. As the class size will be no more than 10, we will ensure that each student receives individualised attention and support to learn this tricky skill. This class is suitable for beginners and aims to teach students to an intermediate level of skill and knowledge in the practice
What you will learn
- Students will learn how to water-gild from start to finish with an experienced and creative gilder.
What you will get
- Students will receive a box in the mail with most of the tools and materials needed. A gilders pack will be included, with a gilder's pad, gilder's knife, gilder's tips and agate burnisher. There will be lots of prepared surfaces included in the box of goodies along with 2 picture frames that will be ready for gilding and finishing.
What to bring
- Students will need access to a heated and still room for water-gilding in. There will be a few ingredients that students will need to source themselves which are usually easy to find in most supermarkets or hardware store
What to wear
Wear something comfortable where you can roll your sleeves up
This is a beginner level course
We are artisan picture and gallery frame makers, carvers and gilders sharing our knowledge to a diverse crowd of talented and inquiring makers and artists. We run gilding courses sporadically throughout the year and teach the traditional art of water-gilding, using precious leaf such as white gold, 22K and 23K gold leaf.
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 48 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Rich and Davis requires at least 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise.
- Partial refunds. Rich and Davis has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Rich and Davis does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Rich and Davis, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Rich and Davis or organised by Rich and Davis must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Rich and Davis
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Rich and Davis unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Rich and Davis classes and events or on Rich and Davis premises. (For use of Rich and Davis marketing materials).
Rich and Davis requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
In the event that a class is cancelled by Rich and Davis, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.