Intermediate & Continuing Jewellery Making
(+6 more dates)
Draft rewrite for Intermediate and Continuing Jewellery Making Course
The Intermediate & Continuing Jewellery Making course is for students wanting to continue building on and practising their metal smithing skills. With the guidance and support of your experienced tutor Melanie Ihnen, this course is an opportunity to learn new skills through a guided project or pursue your own design ambitions. You can learn more about the breadth of experience Mel brings to her teaching on our website. (It will depend on whether this text ends up on WTM or the Website)
This course allows students to progress their skills through the different stages of jewellery making as the tutor assists with skill acquisition, design development and problem-solving.
The Intermediate & Continuing Jewellery Making class consists of students at various stages of their jewellery-making journey. Over many years we have found the camaraderie that develops in our ongoing mixed-level courses like this, and our Atelier jewellery-making course benefits everyone. Students and even tutors learn from one another as students and tutors bring their unique perspectives, tips and tricks learned along the way.
This course aims to give students the confidence and skills to work on individual projects while gaining a greater understanding of the wide world of jewellery making and design.
Students progressing from Beginners will focus on fabrication, soldering and flex shaft skills. The technique taught varies from term to term and will incorporate a particular type of stone setting (bezel, tab or tube), to create a ring or pendant with a gemstone.
Students continuing from previous terms or joining the class for the first time with more experience have the option to learn or practice the stone setting technique offered. Alternatively, they can bring their existing projects to continue working on or develop their new design ambitions incorporating new skills in consultation and with the guidance and support of Mel. Presentation of jewellery techniques and processes will differ term by term focusing on skills-based learning informed by the background experience of participants in the class.
Having completed this course you will have the prerequisite skills to join our Gypsy Setting Workshop.
What you will learn
- Advanced soldering skills
- Term by term skills-focused learning informed by experience level of participants in the class
- Introduction to the Hydraulic Press
What you will get
- Base metal sheet and wire
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
What to wear
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately
Perfect for those who have done our Beginners Jewellery and Intermediate 1 courses
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.
More From SquarePeg Studios
All Levels - Daytime Jewellery Making AtelierAll Levels - Daytime Jewellery Making Atelier
from AU$720.00Marrickville, NSWThu, 07 Sep 10:00AM (AEST) (+1 more)
Carve a Silver Ring: Wax Carving and CastingCarve a Silver Ring: Wax Carving and Casting
from AU$410.00Marrickville, NSWSun, 18 Jun 10:00AM (AEST) (+2 more)
Other classes you might like
Quilt Coat WorkshopQuilt Coat Workshop
Make Feather Figure CanvasesMake Feather Figure Canvases
AU$88.00Live via ZoomTue, 18 Jul 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Graffiti Drawing Course for KidsGraffiti Drawing Course for Kids
AU$175.00Live via ZoomSun, 09 Jul 3:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Learn to Make Rhinestone PortraitsLearn to Make Rhinestone Portraits
AU$80.00Live via ZoomWed, 21 Jun 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Learn How to Bake Alfajores BiscuitsLearn How to Bake Alfajores Biscuits
from AU$99.00Live via ZoomFri, 16 Jun 6:30PM (AEST) (+6 more)Accepts private bookings
An Intro to MehndiAn Intro to Mehndi
AU$79.00Live via ZoomTue, 25 Jul 7:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Watercolour with It Hao Pheh (Zoom)-Single SessionWatercolour with It Hao Pheh (Zoom)-Single Session
AU$26.00Live via ZoomThu, 08 Jun 1:30PM (AEST) (+12 more)
Harry Potter Wand Making for all!Harry Potter Wand Making for all!
AU$80.00Live via ZoomSun, 02 Jul 2:00PM (AEST)
Francesca's Flower ClubFrancesca's Flower Club
AU$135.00Facebook LiveFri, 07 Jul 1:30PM (AEST) (+5 more)
Learn to Paint Retro Inspired PortraitsLearn to Paint Retro Inspired Portraits
AU$83.00Live via ZoomWed, 26 Jul 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Hi Jen, Thank you for your wonderful review! We're thrilled (and not surprised!) to hear that Melanie has been a fantastic teacher, providing helpful guidance and encouragement. Creating a friendly environment for learning is important to us, and we're glad that you felt comfortable in our classes. It's great to know that seeing other people's projects has been a fantastic source of inspiration for you. We appreciate your kind words and hope to continue inspiring you in your creative journey. See you soon! Warmest, Emily & Kim