This class is designed to give actors who can't make evening classes because of family or work commitments the opportunity to explore, expand and practice their skills. It doesn't matter if you can only come occassionally and it doesn't matter if you can't stay for the whole session. You just pay for what you use.
$20 to audit the session or $25 an hour to participate (for as long as you want to stay).
- The whole range of Rehearsal Room techniques are up for grabs depending on your needs
- A practical discussion on acting theory always starts the session
- Actors perform a scene and then review it and get direct feedback
- Record your scenes to take home so you can measure your improvements
- If you don't want to perform but would rather audit the session and take notes then you pay a reduced rate
- If you participate in the session ad perform then you only pay for as long as you stay
- Build your skill with The Rehearsal Room process or if you haven't been here before find out how it ticks
- Build confidence by learning a process that makes sense that you can manage easily
- Know what to do when you first read your scene
- Make sure your listening skills are trusted and working
- This session is always immensely stimulating ... AND it is always fun!!
- Bring a scene you would like to do - 2-handers are best - but some actors do monologues
- Bring a USB stick to record your work or an SD Card for the camera
It doesn't matter whether you have been to The Rehearsal Room previously or not - this workshop is for anyone who wants to explore acting.
Vendor since 2017
The Rehearsal Room is run by TV Director Richard Sarell who directed television drama for more than 25 years. During that time, he evolved an approach to acting that trains actors in techniques that enable them to compete and survive in the modern world of screen performance.
The techniques are based on simple principles that quickly produce professional results. They enable the actor to create complex real characters that are perfect for the screen but are also relevant for the stage. These classes enable actors to make choices that drive the character's interactions in a way that generates a compelling dramatic performance. The actors skill is to engage an audience because they feel they are watching a real life interaction. These classes provide the tools to deliver those outcomes.
Richard has been conducting workshops for professional actors in Australia and New Zealand for two decades, working with institutions such as the Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS), Australian Screen Directors Association (ASDA), National Theatre Drama School, Federation University and the Victorian College of the Arts (VCA).
Once a payment has been made no refunds are available. However, your payment may be able to be transferred to another or future class if a suitable one is available.
The Rehearsal Room provides a supportive environment to enable you to learn quickly and make clear progress. If you have to miss a class it might be possible for you to come an hour earlier for the next week's session to catch you up on the theory that you have missed. Two free one hour catch up sessions are included in your term fee. After that you may have to pay for a private catch up lesson at $70 per hour. Early notification if you can't attend a class is always helpful. That way we can plan ahead.