Join Thread Den's Mailing List - click here
Learn to sew from the very beginning as we take you through all the basics of sewing. Get an understanding of the sewing machine, machine sewing technique and start trouble shooting problems at the machine yourself. We'll introduce you to terminology, tools, patterns, fabric selection, cutting technique and achieving professional results. You'll get to know what you want in a sewing machine if you haven't yet purchased one.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Sewing Basics for Beginners - click here.
- Looking for Gift Certificates? Click here.
What You'll Be Making:
- Week 1: felt lined fabric wallet
- Week 2: zippered toiletries case with interfacing
- Week 3: fully lined sling bag with boxed out corners
- Week 1: Threading and setting up your machine, using sewing kit tools, getting familiar with the terminology.
- Week 2: All about zippers and inserting an exposed zip, understanding and using interfacing, the anatomy of fabric.
- Week 3: Tracing out, cutting technique, sewing at seam allowance, bagging out a lining.
- Experienced and friendly teachers to take you through everything from the very beginning.
- Detailed handouts in each weekly workshop.
- A finished project each week.
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Week 1: a piece of craft felt at least 17cm x 27cm, sewing machine thread & a piece woven cotton fabric at least 45cm x 35cm
- Week 2: a piece of heavy weight fusible interfacing at least 45cm x 60cm, sewing machine thread, a 25cm closed end chunky plastic zip & .5metre woven cotton fabric
- Week 3: sewing machine thread, two pieces of woven cotton fabric both 1 metre
- A list of supplies is included in your confirmation email
Perfect for absolute beginners
Quilting and crafting fabrics are ideal for the projects we make in this course. They are woven fabrics made from cotton & cotton blends.
Vendor since 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
- Notice given by student less than 48 hours before course start (or after start) = Forfeits the full course fee paid and receives no refund.
- Notice given by student with six (6) or less days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less a 50% cancellation fee.
- Notice given by student with seven (7) or more days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less an administration fee of $10.
In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24-48 hours prior to the scheduled class and receive a full refund to the original payment method.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
- If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you will not be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Open Studio hours, or book a private lesson to catch up. Click here to enquire about a private lesson.
- Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
- We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card. Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.