Looking for Gift Certificates? Click Here.
Learn to sew from the very beginning as we take you through all the basics of sewing. You'll get an understanding of the sewing machine, machine sewing techniques and start trouble shooting problems at the machine yourself. You'll get to know what you want in a sewing machine if you haven't yet purchased one. We'll introduce you to terminology, tools, patterns, fabric selection, cutting technique and achieving professional results. Check out some pretty photos of this course by - clicking here.
What you'll be making:
See what you'll be making - click here.
- Week 1: A felt lined fabric wallet perfect for your ipod or mobile
- Week 2: A zippered toiletries case with interfacing
- Week 3: A fully lined sling bag with boxed out corners
Frequently Asked Questions about Sewing Basics for Beginners - click here.
The course starting date and time is listed in the drop down box to the right. Your course will continue over three consecutive weeks in 3 hour workshops. e.g: "Tuesday 6th Dec 6:00pm" will run 6th, 13th & 20th December 6-9pm.
- Week 1: Threading and setting up your machine, using sewing kit tools, getting familiar with the terminology.
- Week 2: All about zippers and inserting an exposed zip, understanding and using interfacing, the anatomy of fabric.
- Week 3: Tracing out, cutting technique, sewing at seam allowance, bagging out a lining.
- Experienced and friendly teachers to take you through everything from the very beginning.
- Detailed handouts in each weekly workshop.
- No need to bring any equipment or machines.
- Week 1: a piece of craft felt at least 17cm x 27cm, sewing machine thread & a piece woven cotton fabric at least 25cm x 35cm
- Week 2: a piece of heavy weight fusible interfacing at least 30cm x 60cm, sewing machine thread, a 25cm closed end chunky plastic zip & a piece of woven cotton fabric at least 30cm x 80
- Week 3: sewing machine thread, two pieces of woven cotton fabric both at least 1 metre x 1 metre
- A list of supplies is included in your confirmation email
- *some of these can be purchased at booking, you select from our small range of colours on arrival
Perfect for absolute beginners
Vendor sincce 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.