Sew your own Jeans
Sewing your own jeans is daunting....and oh so satisfying! Challenge yourself to skill up!
Debra Ryan joins us for our first advanced Jeans making weekend! Debra will take step but step through the process from fitting, adjustments and the actual sewing!
We'll be using the The Heroine Jean by Merchant and Mills (size 6 - 18), or the Ames Jeans by Cashmerette (size 12-28 & 12-32) to make sure we cater for all our special bodies. A pattern will be waiting for you in class.
Here is what to expect from the class:
- Measuring our bodies and choosing the right size
- Analysing our bodies to make necessary adjhustments
- Making those flat pattern adjustments
- Making a toile to check adjustments and refining them
- A possible tweak and toile again!
- Make final adjustments to the pattern
- Cut out our final fabric
- Begin to sew up our jeans - learning tips and tricks from Debra along the way!
Once you have these skills mastered, you'll be making the best fitting jeans over and over again.
Skill level: This is a more advanced class so you will be a great grasp of sewing and construction, and confident with patterns and understanding pattern instructions. Above all, have a readiness to toile and toile again!
- 12 & 13 August 2023 - 930am to 4pm SOLD OUT
- 11 & 12 November 2023 - 930am to 4pm
ABOUT DEBRA RYAN
Debra trained as a TAFE teacher of Fashion at East Sydney TAFE and taught a wide range of Fashion courses for TAFE NSW for sixteen years in regional NSW.
She later moved to Sydney in 2000 to work in a small business as a patternmaker/cutter, creating custom-made garments and custom alterations for individual clients, and continues to do so.
Debra also taught the Needlecraft Certificate at TAFE and is a passionate embroiderer and member of the Embroiderers Guild NSW.
What you will learn
- How to take measurements for Jeans. Then to analyse your figure and measurements to make appropriate pattern alterations for your jeans
- How to cut, make and fit your jeans toile in calico. Then make further alterations made from your jeans toile
- Cut out and begin making your jeans in your chosen fabric- Make up jeans with techniques appropriate to jeans
What you will get
- 13.5 hours of expert tuition with a max of 6 students in the class
- A printed sewing Pattern with instructions to take home, as much calico and interfacing as you need and a pack of sewing needles.
- An encouraging environment to have fun and learn from others as well
During the week, parking can be tricky. It is often best to stop at our door and bring your machine in and then find a park.
During the weekend, there is usually lots of parking on Jabez Street or Shepherd Street.
We are serviced by the M30, 423, 426 and 428 bus.
We are approx 20min walk from Sydenham or Stanmore Station
What to bring
- Your machine (with all it's power cords and the foot pedal) & your fabric scissors and sewing kit
- Your lunch - a fridge, microwave and sandwich is available
- Fabric and other notions specified in the booking confirmation.
What to wear
Wear comfy clothes and shoes!
This is a more advanced class so you will be a great grasp of sewing and construction, and confident with patterns and understanding pattern instructions. Above all, have a readiness to toile and toile again!
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
- A refund can be requested 5 days before class starts. Free of charge.
- A transfer can be requested 5 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$25.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 5 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Usefulbox Sewing School or organised by Usefulbox Sewing School must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Usefulbox Sewing School
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Usefulbox Sewing School unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Usefulbox Sewing School classes and events or on Usefulbox Sewing School premises. (For use of Usefulbox Sewing School marketing materials).