Weaving with Specialty Materials
(Private Dates Available)
Explore the wonders of weaving with specialty materials, including copper and steel wire, paper and sparkle yarn, fishing line, recycled cloth, and even lines of text. You will learn the basics of weaving and experiment with materials you never thought to weave with!
During this artisan workshop, you will be inspired to think differently about weaving and unleash your creativity to make a unique and artistic piece on a weaving frame. You will take home a finished woven piece you can frame/hang or stitch on a bag/clothing.
Textile artist Zsofia Samu does not take a one-size-fits-all approach but guides you to find your own style through an exploration of a range of unconventional materials.
To be able to give the amount of assistance each person needs, she runs small classes of a maximum of five participants at her home studio. This also allows for a more quiet, meditative, and intimate class setting where you can comfortably immerse yourself in the creative process.
What you will learn
- You will learn how to dress the weaving frame and how to apply basic weaving techniques depending on the material of your choice.
- You will experiment with how to create and have fun with textures, contrasts and transparency by using specialty materials.
What you will get
- You will get an abundance of materials and a weaving frame with tools to use during the class.
- You will take home a finished artwork, an information booklet that recaps the class and a list of specialty material suppliers.
- The frame and accessory kit you will be working with can be purchased for $80 at the end of the workshop. We highly recommend buying the frames as you will be very likely inspired to continue weaving!
Street number will be provided after booking.
Ample parking available.
What to bring
- Creative enthusiasm!
- You may also bring some materials from home that you might like to include. We recommend bringing a small piece of clothing/fabric that you don't mind cutting up. We also suggest thinking of a word, sentence, or short quote that you would like to incorporate.
- BYO lunch please. Snacks, refreshments, tea, and coffee will be provided.
What to wear
Suitable for beginners and those with experience.
I am a passionate and highly skilled textile/visual artist with over 15 years of experience in weaving and art making.
I have a master’s degree in woven textile design, and I have been a practicing studio artist since 2005. I have frequently exhibited in Australia and overseas as well as worked on large scale public art and socially engaged art projects. I draw inspiration from the wilderness, the human condition, and my Hungarian cultural heritage. I specialise in loom and off-loom weaving with alternative and recycled materials to create 2 and 3 dimensional mixed media artworks.
After gaining experience through private tutoring, I now open my home studio for group classes. I’m excited to share my skills and knowledge on how to give the ancient technique of weaving a contemporary application.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 5 days before class starts. Free of charge.
- A transfer can be requested 5 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 5 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Zsofia Samu Textile Artist or organised by Zsofia Samu Textile Artist must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Zsofia Samu Textile Artist
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Zsofia Samu Textile Artist unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Zsofia Samu Textile Artist classes and events or on Zsofia Samu Textile Artist premises. (For use of Zsofia Samu Textile Artist marketing materials).