Learn from Kosta
Kosta started his drumming journey in 2005 and ever since West African music and culture has become part of his life. He was an invaluable member of performance groups such as Purpledog Rhythms, Jakmani, and Wassawumba. He has studied under some of the best teachers in Melbourne such as Mady Keita, Boubacar Gaye, Sayon Souare, Simon Fraser and Simon Lewis. Kosta is a very dedicated and patient teacher with a renowned love for the ancient traditions of the djembe.
The emphasis at the Beginner Level is on:
- Having fun
- Learning basic technique on the djembe (bass, tone and slap)
- Appreciating West African music
- Developing groove, control & listening skills
- Working together to become an ensemble
- Introducing soloing as a group
- Working on timing
- Exploring basic musical concepts
Our classes run in 6 week cycles: Every Tuesday, 6:15pm-7:45pm Jan 17th Feb 28th-culminating with Tribalism April 11th May 23th July 4th Aug 15th Sep 26th Nov 7th-culminating with Tribalism
- Develop groove, control and listening skills.
- Experience the joy of community music
- Learn basic techniques on the djembe (Bass, Tone and Slap) and West African rhythms
- Knowledge of West African drumming and control of easy-to-follow rhythms
- 10% student discount storewide
- Access to our social media networks and resources
- Concession rates available. Please present your card in class.
- We will have a drum ready for you at class – you don’t need to have your own. Ask your teacher about renting a drum so you can practice between classes
Beginners. No experience required at all.
Vendor since 2015
Established in 1997, African Drumming has become Australia’s trusted name in West African music.
We are dedicated to sharing the music and culture of West Africa in all that we do: through classes, workshops, study tours and performances which connect a wide audience with this powerful music. Not to mention our instruments! We are one of the largest African music stores in Australia and we love our drums.
In 2011 we relocated from a little store in Grey Street to a larger purposed Head Quarters @ 252 St Kilda Rd, St Kilda. Our HQ houses both the brains and brawn of the operation, with our showroom, studios, offices, warehouse and the all important drum making workshop here under one jamming roof. We love it in St Kilda!
We have a nation-wide network of drummers and dancers under our banner and operate across Australia. Our team includes performers and drum makers from around West Africa such as Mali, Senegal, Ghana and of course homegrown talent too.
We’re always looking to the future and constantly working on the next big project, event and product.