Learn with Alena
A formidable percussionist and natural teacher, Alena graduated from the prestigious Victorian College of the Arts in 2008. Since starting on drum kit at the age of 10, she has fuelled her instrument ADD by branching out into all sorts of classical, mallet and African percussion. She has a passion for educating young (and young at heart) minds on the culture, music, song and dance for which Africa is renowned. Alena has taken two extended tours to Ghana. She hopes to one day own a two storey house where the top floor is completely dedicated to drums
The emphasis at the Beginner Level is on:
- Having fun
- Learning basic technique on the djembe (bass, tone and slap)
- Appreciating West African music
- Developing groove, control & listening skills
- Working together to become an ensemble
- Introducing soloing as a group
- Working on timing
- Exploring basic musical concepts
Our classes run in 6 week cycles: Every Wednesday, 7:00pm-8:30pm Jan 18th March 1st-culminating with Tribalism April 12th May 24th July 5th Aug 16th Sep 27th Nov 8th-culminating with Tribalism
- Develop groove, control and listening skills.
- Experience the joy of community music
- Basic technique on the djembe (Bass, Tone and Slap) and West African rhythms
- Access to our Social Media networks and resources
- 10% student discount storewide
- Knowledge of West African drumming and control of easy-to-follow rhythms
- We will have a drum ready for you at class – you don’t need to have your own. Ask your teacher about renting a drum so you can practice between classes
Vendor sincce 2015
Established in 1997, African Drumming has become Australia’s trusted name in West African music.
We are dedicated to sharing the music and culture of West Africa in all that we do: through classes, workshops, study tours and performances which connect a wide audience with this powerful music. Not to mention our instruments! We are one of the largest African music stores in Australia and we love our drums.
In 2011 we relocated from a little store in Grey Street to a larger purposed Head Quarters @ 252 St Kilda Rd, St Kilda. Our HQ houses both the brains and brawn of the operation, with our showroom, studios, offices, warehouse and the all important drum making workshop here under one jamming roof. We love it in St Kilda!
We have a nation-wide network of drummers and dancers under our banner and operate across Australia. Our team includes performers and drum makers from around West Africa such as Mali, Senegal, Ghana and of course homegrown talent too.
We’re always looking to the future and constantly working on the next big project, event and product.