In this four week beginner's ceramics workshop, you will learn pinch pot, slab and coil construction to create vases, cups and bowls. You'll then paint with underglazes and finish them off with a clear glaze.
All materials and firing costs are included in the price, and you'll be able to pick up your gorgeous pieces you've hand made and painted approximately three weeks after the class, (during Pink Ember shop hours).
This is a relaxed, friendly, LGBTQI+ safe class. As always with my workshops, there's never pressure for perfectionism, we will prioritise process, learning, play and community.
Week by week:
Week 1: Pinch pot technique
Week 2: Slab technique
Week 3: Coil technique
Week 4: Underglazes and clear glaze
In accordance with government requirements, all students must be double vaccinated to attend. Proof of vaccination will be required on the first day of class during check in. The class size is kept small. Let Aoife know if you have covid, been in contact with someone who has covid, or you have symptoms; Aoife will reschedule your ticket for a date in the future. Refunds will not be issued if students are not able to prove vaccination status.
Aoife Billings (she/her) is a Narrm (Melbourne) based ceramist and painter. She has been teaching art workshops for various councils and at her own studio for over seven years. She is the workshop manager at Pink Ember Studio, a queer- run not-for-profit studio, shop, gallery and workshop venue she founded in Coburg with three other artists during 2018.
What you will learn
- Pinch pot, slab and coil construction techniques
- Underglaze painting
What you will get
- Zine with hints and tips for ceramics
- Your very own handmade functional ceramics, decorated by you, to use at home!
Free on street parking on Stock St
What to bring
- Drink bottle
- Hand towel
What to wear
All ages 8+ (attendees under 16 must be accompanied by an adult)
Aoife Billings (she/her) is a Narrm (Melbourne) based ceramist and painter. She has been teaching art workshops for various councils and at her own studio for over seven years. She is the workshop manager at Pink Ember Studio, a queer-run, not-for-profit studio, shop, gallery and workshop venue she founded in Coburg with three other artists during 2018.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 2 days before class starts. Free of charge.
- A transfer can be requested 2 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Policy (terms and conditions for you)
- No fill in classes available. Please attend all classes of the series you've booked into.
- LIABILITY WAIVE - Aoife Billings will not be responsible for any damage, loss or theft incurred to personal property brought into the premises.
- PHOTO & VIDEO - I agree to give Aoife Billings unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at classes and events or on the premises. (Let us know on the day if you don’t want to be photographed)
- BEHAVIOUR - If a participant's behaviour is racist, homophobic, transphobic, sexist, abusive, violent, threatening or discriminatory, Aoife Billings has the right to ask such person/persons to leave the premises immediately.
- COVID - If you are required to isolate or have Covid during class times, please contact Aoife as soon as possible via firstname.lastname@example.org
Our part of the customer service policy
- To provide a safe, clean, supportive, creative environment in which to learn and develop your craft.
- To provide individual attention as much as possible to each participant, making sure you are getting the most out of your workshop experience.
- We will be on time and attentive
- We will endeavour to respond to customer enquiries or complaints within 24 hours
- If for any reason we have to cancel a class, we will provide the customer with a full refund or credit to attend another workshop.
- Customer complaints will be taken very seriously. If you are unsatisfied in anyway please do not hesitate to let us know. By filling out our consumer survey at the end of the lesson you will be helping us greatly in adjusting our service delivery to the needs of our valued customers.
Wheelchair access to our studio will be available. If a customer requires an assistant such as a disability support worker, or sign language interpreter, they are welcome to bring them to the workshop without additional cost.