Express & Experiment Workshop w. Custard Creative
(+1 more date)
No One is the Same in expression or perspective. This is a celebration of seeing how differently we all interact with art as a medium and get inspired by each other.
Come for an hour or two,
Stay for four to get a little bit more.
Book ahead or drop in,
there's room for you to fit right in!
"Intro @ 11"
Ideas will start turnin',
All are welcome from 12.30;
Come nibble, chat and get a bit dirty (not like that)!
Get loose, get oozey;
perhaps afterwards a cheeky boozey!
What you may like to consider getting prepared:
- Bring with you any reference material that inspires you.
- We can get messy very quickly so wear your dungarees or clothes that you don't mind getting marked.
What you will access during the workshop:
- An opening meditation and short yoga flow to wake up the body followed by an invitation to have a bit of a dance!
- Facilitated studio time with Madi; an experienced studio manager, consultant and teacher.
- There are standing and sitting easels available (10 of each). Please let Madi know if you require a seated easel.
- Papers, charcoal, colourful fine liner pens, markers, varying brush sizes, acrylic paints, collage materials, chalks and oil pastels.
- Your own 50 x 60cm canvas
- One large-scale canvas which will be a class collaborative effort
- A light lunch spread of home made dips, chips, olives, cheeses, mini quiche, tea and orange juice.
- A great playlist of tunes to let the good times roll
- Conclude with a meditation and final opportunity for conversation.
What you will take home:
- A 50x60cm canvas completed or in an evolving stage
- Any collage or image inspiration that was a reference point for your artwork
- Knowledge of techniques and tools to develop your creative projects
- Invitation to accompanying workshops; Connecting Through Creating and, Preparatory Shake Up!
- Oozing creativity, warm feelings and wanting to come back for a refill!
What you will learn
- Embodiment techniques to stimulate creative flow through meditation and movement
- Knowledge and skills in techniques and tools to create and develop expressive artworks
- Understanding the nature of your unique expression and how you channel it.
What you will get
- Techniques to inspire creativity by yourself and with others
- A 50x60cm canvas complete or evolving
- Feel refreshed & Inspired wanting to come back for a refill!
The ride or walk to the Convent is spectacular, with the Capital City cycling and walking path directly passing the precinct. The St Heliers Street turn-off is opposite the entrance to the Collingwood Children’s Farm.
Catch a Mernda or Hurstbridge line train to Victoria Park Station. The train station is a 10 – 15 minute walk to the Convent, or you can catch the 200 or 207 bus down Johnston Street to the Clarke Street stop. The bus stop is a 3 – 5 minute walk to the Convent.
All day parking is available in the car park directly across from the Convent on St Heliers Street. The machines accept credit cards, notes and gold coins. Funds from the car park go towards the restoration and daily operation of the Convent, and also support our neighbours, the Collingwood Children’s Farm.
There is no vehicle access to the Convent precinct for tour coaches and buses.
Buses should either pick up / set down and park in Johnston Street or at the south end of Clarke Street (accessible from Abbotsford Street only). Buses cannot enter St Heliers Street. There is a dedicated bus parking zone on Johnston Street, 50 metres east of the corner of Clarke Street.
Parking Weekday rates:
30 mins = free
90 mins= $5
$1 per half hour thereafter
6 – 10 hours = $14
$2 per hour after 10 hours
Max daily rate (until 2am) = $28
Additional overnight fee (after 2am) = $25
Lost ticket = $28
Parking Weekend rates:
30 mins = $3
$1 per half hour thereafter
5 ½ – 10 hours = $14
$2 per hour after 10 hours
The Abbotsford Convent Foundation (ACF) is committed to improving access within the Convent precinct for everyone. The ACF acknowledges that there are access challenges inherent in the Convent’s heritage buildings and gardens and remedial work is being undertaken as funding permits.
What to bring
- You are welcome to bring any resources or materials that you are inspired by or wish to share.
What to wear
Wear your arty dungarees, jeans or clothes you don't mind getting marked.
Participants must be 18+, no prerequisites are required for this workshop.
Custard Creative provides art workshops that have a different flavour to what you may have experienced at other art workshops. You will find yourself dancing, meditating, exploring different art and textile media, collaborating, learning different drawing techniques and tools, splattering paint with your fingers, we are endlessly experimental!
The core of Custard Creative is that we facilitate a space for you to find connection with your inner being and find the expression that wants to come out guided by the tools and techniques that are shared with you in each workshop. It is the perfect opportunity to let go, get a bit wild and share the joy of expression in a safe and inclusive community.
The key is to share our energy and vibe out together exploring the modalities of art, yoga and movement while sharing ideas, stories, laughs, delicious food and custard. We want you to leave feeling golden, confident, a part of something special and oozing with creative vibrations!
"The fluidity of expression - a state of being in which time is warped and the being is persistent and simple; amplifying the oozing of conscious imagination beckoning to be revealed " - Madi, founder of Custard Creative.
About Madi van der List - Founder and Facilitator of Custard Creative
It has always been a primary dream for Madi to create a community that is accessible to all people to have the freedom to express themselves through art workshops and discover the creative being that is within us all. Custard Creative is the first realisation of this dream for Madi having spent her twenties working across Australia in the art, education, and well-being industries.
The highlighted experience for Madi was her time working out on the border of Western Australia and Northern Territory for Tjarlirli Art and Kaltukatjara Art centres. Coming into the art centres, setting out the studio for the day, working alongside the arts workers, helping artists in their painting processes, documenting stories, heading over to aged care on Fridays for painting and out on country to collect bush food, swim in the rock holes or watch the sunset. It is the essence of this time sharing in many different ways that Madi wanted to bring back with her as a foundational structure for running workshops.
Its Madi's belief that we are much more in tune and connected with ourselves, each other and our environment when we are experiencing something together and a variety of different activities that are meaningful as they are fundamental to the human nature.
Madi warmly welcomes you to come and be immersed in the Custard Creative community. Be yourself, find your creative centre within and enjoy a celebration of our freedom to express!
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 7 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$50.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested anytime before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested anytime before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Custard Creative or organised by Custard Creative must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Custard Creative
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Custard Creative unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Custard Creative classes and events or on Custard Creative premises. (For use of Custard Creative marketing materials).
If I am unable to attend a workshop and have a purchased ticket, it is in my best interest to notify Custard Creative prior to the workshop taking place. I will refer to the Refund Policy criteria to determine the best outcome suited to my circumstance.
I will follow guidelines and instructions provided by Custard Creative and associated hosts to ensure the safety of my words and actions and the safety of others.
Other classes you might like
Anime and Manga Drawing Course for All!Anime and Manga Drawing Course for All!
from AU$160.00Live via ZoomSun, 28 May 3:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Learn to Make Rhinestone PortraitsLearn to Make Rhinestone Portraits
from AU$66.00Live via ZoomSun, 14 May 3:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Make Flower Figure PostcardsMake Flower Figure Postcards
from AU$66.00Live via ZoomWed, 29 Mar 6:45AM (AEDT) (+1 more)Accepts private bookings
Inner Artist Interactive Play Reding for KidsInner Artist Interactive Play Reding for Kids
AU$56.00Live via ZoomWed, 19 Apr 2:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Anime Art for KidsAnime Art for Kids
AU$53.00Live via ZoomThu, 13 Apr 2:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Create Letter Art on CanvasCreate Letter Art on Canvas
from AU$68.00Live via ZoomSun, 30 Apr 3:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Paint a Tote Bag: CatPaint a Tote Bag: Cat
AU$80.00Live via ZoomTue, 28 Mar 6:45PM (AEDT)Accepts private bookings
3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects
AU$460.00Live via ZoomWed, 29 Mar 6:30PM (AEDT) (+1 more)
Make Disney Button ArtMake Disney Button Art
from AU$68.00Live via ZoomSun, 30 Apr 1:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Beginner African Drumming Classes - OnlineBeginner African Drumming Classes - Online
from AU$160.00Live via ZoomMon, 01 May 6:15PM (AEST) (+2 more)