Begin Spinning - 4 x 3 hour classes
Learn to spin commercially prepared wool and raw fleece into yarn. In each class, we discuss the spinning wheel parts, mechanics and ‘ how, when and why’ to make adjustments for your spinning. Notes are provided and you will have some fun homework each week.
Please come to the class at 9.00 am for a 9.30 am start
What you will learn
- Fleece suitability and preparation
- Wheel types and adjustments
- To spin an even single, ply a balanced yarn and create a skein correctly
What you will get
- Materials kit ($15 to be purchased at the first lesson)
- Skills and knowledge to spin a two-ply yarn on a spinning wheel
- Small-group tuition
Use Corrective Services driveway and park at rear of building.
What to bring
- Spinning wheel (Please ensure it is in working order, or contact the Guild for hiring a wheel)
- Fee for materials kit $15
What to wear
People with little or no spinning experience
About your tutor - Wendy Campbell
Wendy is an accomplished spinner, and tutor and is knowledgeable about wheel mechanics, maintenance and repairs.
The Guild brings together people who practise the arts of hand weaving, spinning and associated crafts and fosters and encourages the crafts by instruction, discussion and exhibition.
Joining the Guild has many benefits. These include:
- Discounted prices for workshops
- Use of the library
- Equipment hire
- Special interest group membership eg: Weavers Interest group, Tapestry Interest group, Braids Plus, Spinning
- Invitations to members-only events.
Email: email@example.com for an application form.
Membership rates are for one calendar year starting 1 January and ending 31 December. New members joining from 1 October receive the balance of the current year for free when purchasing next year’s membership.
Membership, single, with emailed Guild News — $50.
If you would like a posted Guild News there is an additional $25.00.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 14 days before class starts. Free of charge.
- A transfer can be requested 14 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 14 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Secure your booking by paying according to the terms and conditions.
Most courses have requirement lists and a materials fee payable to your tutor in class.
Location of Workshops
Most workshops will be held at the Hand Weavers and Spinners Guild at Brush Farm House, 19 Lawson St, Eastwood. There is parking behind the house. Public transport is by bus accessed from Eastwood or Parramatta stations.
Participants should arrive 30 minutes prior to class commencing. The venue must be cleaned up within 30 minutes of class finishing.
Discounts on Workshops
Network Groups: For each course, one member may pay at the member’s rate on confirmation of their financial status by their group and its approval.
Knitters Guild NSW: We have a reciprocal arrangement with the Knitters Guild whereby their members may enroll at members’ prices and vice versa.