The Fungus Amongst Us
We're Back for 2023!!
On this is a casual walking workshop we will explore the beautiful Darebin park lands through a fungal lens. Participants will be guided to see and get close the world of fungi and the local ecology on our doorstep.
The park adventure will be led by local ecologist specialising in fungi and mosses Dr Sapphire McMullan-Fisher, and urban farmer and founder of Sporadical City Mushrooms Julia Laidlaw will share the world of zero waste mushroom farming at her farm on the edge of the park land.
You will need to come dressed for the weather on the day with comfortable shoes - bring your magnifying glass too if you have one and prepare to have your mind blown by the life around us.
What you will learn
- Being able to read our natural landscape and growing our own food helps us connect and care for the amazing planet we live on. Appropriate for kids (8 years+) and adults, this workshop will take the participants on a journey into their local landscape to show how to recognise the diversity of life and its interconnectedness through a fungal lens as we walk through the beautiful Darebin parklands; participants will then return to Sporadical City Mushrooms farm for a farm tour.
What you will get
- Participants will gain a greater understanding and connection to the incredible planet we live on and the magic of local ecologies.
Google maps link to meeting place - https://goo.gl/maps/twmDndVogdvtXtZZ8
This is where the walking tour will commence at 10 am Parking in Station St and nearby streets. Public transport to via bus or to nearby Alphington train station then walking to park.
What to bring
- If you have a magnifying glass or hand mirror this can be helpful for seeing the fungus amongst us up close
What to wear
Casual comfortable clothing appropriate for the weather on the day, comfortable shoes for walking.
This workshop is perfect for anyone wanting to build their ecological literacy and learn more about the fungi kingdom around us and how it connects the natural world
Sporadical City Mushrooms is a small urban farm in Melbourne where we grow delicious seasonal mushrooms for our local community, markets & restaurants. Guided by our zero waste ethic we have grown from a small backyard business to building our farm at Alphington. We also teach mushroom growing workshops for indoor, garden or mushroom log cultivation and give farm tours to share our DIY methods and help get more people growing. If you would like to organise a workshop get in touch or keep an eye out for our up coming workshops.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
- A refund can be requested 5 days before class starts. Free of charge.
- A transfer can be requested 2 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 2 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Sporadical City Mushrooms or organised by Sporadical City Mushrooms must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I (the participants) agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Sporadical City Mushrooms
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
Unless I, (the participant) advise Sporadical City Mushrooms to the contrary I agree to give Sporadical City Mushrooms unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Sporadical City Mushrooms classes and events or on Sporadical City Mushrooms premises. If I(For use of Sporadical City Mushrooms marketing materials).
More From Sporadical City Mushrooms
Growing Mushrooms at HomeGrowing Mushrooms at Home
AU$135.00Alphington, VICSat, 02 Sep 10:30AM (AEST) (+1 more)
Other classes you might like
Seed Cycle - Germination through to PropagationSeed Cycle - Germination through to Propagation
AU$25.00Live via ZoomMon, 19 Jun 6:00PM (AEST)