Tweens and Teens - Make a Ring in a Day Workshop
(+1 more date)
ABOUT THE COURSE
Is it possible for teens and tweens to make excellent, well-constructed and unique solid sterling silver rings no previous experience?
At SquarePeg Studios, it is!
"It was great to follow the journey of a stick of silver to a fully-fledged one-of-a-kind ring!" Claire, 2022
This fun and fast-paced school holiday activity, a one-day jewellery-making workshop, is a perfect introduction to working with precious metals.
Responding to young students' demands, we modified the adult version of Make a Ring in a Day to suit younger students. We have been offering Ring in A Day for almost ten years to 100s of happy students, with consistent 5-star reviews, so we know what we are doing!
Students experiment with textures while sampling with copper and then incorporate these new skills into a sterling silver band.
All tools and materials, including copper and a silver strip, are provided.
This workshop introduces all the same techniques as in adult classes. Therefore, with the nature of the jewellery workshop environment, tools and equipment used throughout the workshop, the youth must be accompanied by a responsible carer over sixteen. The carer may wish to participate in the workshop, to make their own ring. We have created a special discounted ticket for them, or they can accompany their youth at no charge.
WHAT STUDENTS LEARN
Roller printing – learn how to impress directly onto metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand-cut stencils and much more
Soldering – using special jewellery torches, students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band
Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
Patinate – use our special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design
WHAT STUDENTS MAKE
A sterling silver ring band designed and made by you!
MEET YOUR TUTOR - Teens and Tweens - Make a Ring in a Day is taught by Melanie Ihnen, a most talented tutor with experience working with younger students.
What you will learn
- How to size your ring
- Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
- Soldering and Annealing - learn how to use special torches to heat and join metal.
What you will get
- Base metal sheet and sterling silver for the ring
- Sterling silver for your ring
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits.
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to wear
We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg. All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
Creative young students, 11 - 18 years. For under 14 year old students their over 16 year old companion.
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.