If your new years resolution to spend more quality time in the garden, then look no further. This masterclass on 'Garden Journalling' is your key to unlocking a deeper connection with your very own patch. In this 90 min long immersive experience, we invite you to set aside your gardening tools and embrace the art of garden journaling. By slowing down and tuning in to the nuances of your patch, you'll discover a wealth of insights waiting to be unearthed. Gardens, as silent teachers, impart lessons in patience, perseverance, and perception, along with a profound understanding of the surrounding environment and all living things within it.
This masterclass will encourage you to record your observations, creating a personal chronicle that will transform you into becoming an aware gardener. The process will help you recognize mishaps, pitfalls and patterns that will empower you to make informed decisions for the upcoming gardening seasons and whatever they may bring.
Bring your own garden treasures—wander through your garden and grab a seed pod, leaf or flower, pick up any items to make a mark - pencil, ball point pen - anything you have and get ready to be inspired by garden journal extraordinaire Bethan Burton to start a journal that is visually stunning and an informative masterpiece. It will fast become an essential tool to help you on your gardening journey throughout 2024 and beyond.
Join us on this creative venture, to see what can happened when we pause to appreciate the wonders within our own patches of earth. Let's make 2024 a year of mindful and meaningful gardening.
Presenter: Bethan Burton
Bethan Burton is an artist and environmental educator from Brisbane. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Ecology and Conservation Biology and a Master of Environment majoring in Education for Sustainability. Bethan is the founder of International Nature Journaling Week and the host of Journaling With Nature podcast. She teaches nature journaling to all age groups and is passionate about connecting people with the natural world.
This session is one of five in a Masterclass Series "New Year, Greener Garden". Other topics include - Establishing a compost ; Minimizing waste, through recycling and other thrifty approaches; Water-Wise Gardening: Thriving with Less; Sustainable bounty - growing enough.
**Book the series package and receive discount. Friends of SGA receive a 15% discount on all Master Classes. You can become a Friend of SGA here and GGPs receive a 30% discount.**
Image - Bethan Burton
What you will learn
- How to record what they see in their garden and develop understanding of what that means
What you will get
- Access to recording for two weeks
What to bring
- Yes, bring anything from your garden, an implement to mark pages with (pen, pencil) and some paper. DON'T buy anything new - scavange around your home!
What to wear
Thise who really want to slow down and tune into their garden
Sustainable Gardening Australia (SGA) is a not-for-profit non-government organiation dedicated to achieving a healthy biodiverse planet.
Its driving purpose is to:
- Encourage, educate and enable home and professional gardeners to adopt sustainable gardening practices to protect or enhance the natural environment;
- Provide information, education and undertake research about the natural environment;
- Reconnect people to the natural world through gardening; and
- Ensure an understanding of the impacts that gardening decisions about chemical and resource use have on the natural environment well beyond their neighbourhood.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
Terms & Conditions
SGA’s Booking Conditions
- Bookings are considered final once payment is made and no refunds will be given for non-attendance.
- If there are insufficient numbers for an event it may be cancelled or postponed by SGA. If this is the case, you will be notified and given the option of either a full refund or a transfer to a different SGA event of equivalent value.
- Please arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time for registration and seating