Clay in Coburg- Small Group Wheel Course
Is more creativity on your New Year’s Resolution list?
Swap screen time for skills, and take up pottery in 2023!
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
This 6 week term course will cover all the essentials so that you can confidently throw on the potter's wheel. You’ll learn:
- How to wedge clay (preparing it to throw with)
- How to centre clay easily (a difficult but essential skill!)
- How to trim the bottom of work
- How to keep records and create test tiles (non-glamorous but essential)
- How to glaze your work using underglaze, oxides, stains and dipping glazes
- How to attach clay to a wheel thrown piece, such as adding a handle to a mug
By the end of the course, you should be equipped to use a potter’s wheel by yourself, and know how to complete the entire process of making and finishing work by yourself.
WHAT WILL I MAKE?
- Students will be guided at their individual level, but you can expect to make some bowls, cups, mugs and plant pots during the term to keep for yourself!
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
- A 10kg bag of smooth white stoneware clay (perfect for beginners)
- All glazes and materials used during the course
- Firing costs.
- Additional clay (reclaim) can be purchased at 5kg per kilo if desired.
WHO WILL BE TEACHING ME?
Sarah Muir-Smith from Snakebird Designs will be your teacher. Having several years of teaching experience, she prides herself on providing a fun, supportive environment to learn through play. Respect for the land and materials used are integral to Sarah’s practice.
Enthusiastic and patient. Student curiosity and independence encouraged and facilitated.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
Anyone from absolute beginner to those who have attended a wheel workshop or beginner course before.
Class size is a maximum of 3 students for the first term, so this is a rare opportunity to get almost private tuition on the wheel!
Please refer to Sarah’s work on instagram (@snakebirddesigns) to get a feel for the kind of look and feel of her ceramics and see if it’s a good match for your aesthetic preferences.
WHY LEARN WITH SNAKEBIRD?
- Throwing on the wheel is a real challenge and so the opportunity to get so much one-on-one tuition in a 3-person only class is invaluable while you develop your skills!
- Instead of a cookie-cutter approach, the pace is led by each individual and will cater to your level.
Studio access is coming soon, meaning you will have the opportunity to practice and work outside of class too! Preference will be given to teaching ongoing students, so depending on interest, the class may turn into an intermediate one in term 2.
I HAVE A QUESTION!
No worries! Shoot an email through to email@example.com with your query and we can have a chat.
What you will learn
- This fun and relaxed course will cover all the essentials so that you can confidently throw on the potter's wheel. By the end of the course, you should be equipped to use a potter’s wheel by yourself, and know how to complete the entire process by yourself.
What you will get
- A 10kg bag of smooth white stoneware clay (perfect for beginners) All glazes and materials used during the course Firing costs. Additional clay (reclaim) can be purchased at 5kg per kilo if desired.
On-site parking available in the car park or parallel parked out front, otherwise free parking is available in Lens street
What to bring
- A towel please!
What to wear
*Very* Casual- clay gets messy! Bring an apron if you’d like.
Anyone from absolute beginner to those who have attended a wheel workshop or beginner course before. Class size is a maximum of 3 students for the first term, so this is a rare opportunity to get almost private tuition on the wheel! Please refer to Sarah’s work on instagram (@snakebirddesigns) to get a feel for the kind of look and feel of her ceramics and see if it’s a good match for your aesthetic preferences.
Learn pottery classes in Coburg with Snakebird Designs!
Your teacher Sarah is a patient, enthusiastic and knowledgeable ceramicist who has recently held her first solo exhibition incorporating household and waste materials into her ceramics.
Sarah has been teaching beginner workshops in ceramics and wheel term courses, as well as natural ink making.
She prides herself on creating a supportive and relaxing environment for beginners to learn ceramics, where curiosity and play is encouraged.
Sustainability is at the forefront of Snakebird Designs, and an experimental and resourceful ethos is key!
If you would like to learn how to throw on the potter’s wheel and make ceramics by hand (using handbuilding techniques such as pinch pots, slab building and coil building) in a small group setting, Snakebird Designs term courses and workshops are for you!
The space is located in Coburg Studios, across the road from the velodrome in Coburg North.
Classes on offer include
- 6 week handbuilding course
- 6 week wheel course
- One-off workshops
- Private functions/parties
- studio access coming soon
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 5 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$10.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 5 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$10.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Snakebird Designs or organised by Snakebird Designs must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Snakebird Designs
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Snakebird Designs unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Snakebird Designs classes and events or on Snakebird Designs premises. (For use of Snakebird Designs marketing materials). (If you’re not comfortable with this, please just let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org )
More From Snakebird Designs
Clay in Coburg- Handbuilding CourseClay in Coburg- Handbuilding Course
AU$450.00Coburg North, VICTue, 25 Apr 5:00PM (AEST)
Other classes you might like
Make Mini Plant Pots at HomeMake Mini Plant Pots at Home
AU$95.00Live via ZoomSun, 21 May 1:15AM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Francesca's Flower ClubFrancesca's Flower Club
AU$135.00Facebook LiveThu, 06 Apr 1:30PM (AEST) (+8 more)
Craft Hour for KidsCraft Hour for Kids
AU$178.00Live via ZoomThu, 27 Apr 4:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Watercolour with It Hao Pheh (Zoom)-Single SessionWatercolour with It Hao Pheh (Zoom)-Single Session
AU$26.00Live via ZoomThu, 30 Mar 1:30PM (AEDT) (+10 more)
Winter Watercolour Landscape for BeginnersWinter Watercolour Landscape for Beginners
AU$40.00Live via ZoomSun, 16 Apr 11:00AM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Inner Artist Interactive Play Reding for KidsInner Artist Interactive Play Reding for Kids
AU$56.00Live via ZoomWed, 19 Apr 2:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
An Intro to MehndiAn Intro to Mehndi
from AU$85.00Live via ZoomWed, 31 May 7:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Make Flower Figure PostcardsMake Flower Figure Postcards
from AU$66.00Live via ZoomSun, 23 Apr 3:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Body Positive Life DrawingBody Positive Life Drawing
AU$40.00Coburg North, VICWed, 05 Apr 6:00PM (AEST) (+3 more)
Beginner's Wheel Throwing SeriesBeginner's Wheel Throwing Series
from AU$370.00Coburg North, VICThu, 30 Mar 7:00PM (AEDT)