UnEarthed | Sand Casting Faceted - Intermediate
Learn to sand cast faceted stones in this continuation of Kirra-lea Caynes popular UnEarthed series. Students already familiar with the ancient art of sand casting or who have attended the UnEarthed Beginners course can now build on their skills and learn several new techniques for adding bling to sand-cast jewels and small objects.
Fascinated by raw materials and natural phenomena and with her passion for contemporary jewellery, Kirra-lea presents a truly inspiring day of fun learning and making in our beautiful workshop.
MEET YOUR TUTOR
Kirra-lea is a qualified jeweller with over 10 years of experience in the trade, having learnt many traditional and contemporary metalsmithing techniques. She is a multi-award winning jewellery designer and manufacturer, winning competitions including The JAA Jewellery Awards and DGA Design Awards. She was recently won the colour category and the title of Jeweller of the Year in the 2019 JAA Design competition.
Based in Melbourne, Australia Kirra-lea works as the sole manufacturer and designer from her home studio. Kirra-lea is also an accomplished sand caster and specialises in cast-in-place rough sapphires. This unique skill has enabled her to travel around Australia teaching fellow jewellers and novices alike the ancient technique. All her rough sapphires are Australian mined by small family businesses and hobbyists. Kirra-lea also makes fossicking trips to Tasmania where she finds her own rough gemstones in the pristine North East rivers.
SquarePeg Studios is delighted to welcome Kirra-lea as a guest tutor for the first time in 2020.
What you will learn
- The ancient craft of sand casting silver with faceted gemstones set in place.
What you will get
- 30 grams of silver
- Faceted Stones - synthetic for strength to learn
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- A Selection of teas, coffee and biscuits.
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Ideas and creativity
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to wear
We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg. All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
Ideal for those with skills in sand casting that want to learn new techniques for casting in place faceted stones.
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.
More From SquarePeg Studios
Carve a Silver Ring: Wax Carving and CastingCarve a Silver Ring: Wax Carving and Casting
from AU$410.00Marrickville, NSWSun, 18 Jun 10:00AM (AEST) (+2 more)
Wax Carving for Jewels - Stone Setting WorkshopWax Carving for Jewels - Stone Setting Workshop
from AU$465.00Marrickville, NSWThu, 03 Aug 10:00AM (AEST) (+1 more)
Other classes you might like
Overlock a garmentOverlock a garment
AU$180.00Marrickville, NSWSun, 25 Jun 9:30AM (AEST)
Harry Potter Wand Making for all!Harry Potter Wand Making for all!
AU$80.00Live via ZoomSun, 02 Jul 2:00PM (AEST)
Zentangle Potrait ArtZentangle Potrait Art
AU$60.00Live via ZoomThu, 03 Aug 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Beginner Learn to Sew Workshop - One day!Beginner Learn to Sew Workshop - One day!
AU$170.00Marrickville, NSWSat, 17 Jun 10:00AM (AEST)
Quilt Coat WorkshopQuilt Coat Workshop
Create a Comic BookCreate a Comic Book
AU$55.00Live via ZoomWed, 14 Jun 4:15PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Zips & Buttonholes MasterclassZips & Buttonholes Masterclass
AU$175.00Marrickville, NSWSat, 17 Jun 9:30AM (AEST)
An Intro to MehndiAn Intro to Mehndi
AU$79.00Live via ZoomTue, 25 Jul 7:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Francesca's Flower ClubFrancesca's Flower Club
AU$135.00Facebook LiveFri, 07 Jul 1:30PM (AEST) (+5 more)
Li’l Crafters Term 2 Friday casual classLi’l Crafters Term 2 Friday casual class
AU$28.00Marrickville, NSWFri, 09 Jun 10:00AM (AEST) (+2 more)