Vicki Mason is one of Australia’s leading contemporary jewellers. Utilising plants as symbols/motifs she tells stories about life in Australia today while also building knowledge and awareness about the natural world in a technologically focused age. Her works reinterpret historical forms of jewellery, as well as working with waste and remnant materials, combining slow tech domestic craft processes with industrial techniques in order to challenge traditional orthodoxies surrounding craft making.
In this workshop, you will learn how to make a colourful textile brooch using simple knotting techniques. Working with beautifully coloured hemp cord, knotting and stitching to create a unique brooch that you can wear straight away!
What to bring: The work is detailed and fine, so good eyesight is crucial for a satisfying result. Attendees need to bring in reading or magnifying glasses if seeing clearly might be an issue. If you wish to take notes or images, please bring a notebook and pen and a camera/phone.
Please note: This workshop will take part over two sessions, with a break in between – 10 - 12:30pm and then 1- 3:30pm
Photography is permitted in the workshop but if you post or publish images to social media you must credit Vicki Mason. By enrolling in the workshop you automatically give permission to be photographed. Photos may be used by Vicki Mason for promotional purposes. If you would prefer not to permit, then please inform Vicki at the beginning of the workshop.
What you will learn
- Introduction to the process, including how to wrangle your cords to knot into a central and outer pattern and trouble shoot the tricky bits of knotting in a pile pattern
- how to stitch your knotted pile into a brooch back and choice of two designs
- how to build and refine colour selection techniques and a range of techniques transferable across other crafting platforms
What you will get
- - a pack with suitable materials for making one radiating brooch: backing canvas, hemp cord, brooch, cotton for sewing in brooch pin, 3 x winding cards and required needles.
- A information kit to reference at home post workshop
- You will also be treated to an array of fine food / coffee / tea / wine to feed your creative energies
What to bring
- Please bring bucket loads of enthusiasm - you will be unleashing your unfounded creativity.
What to wear
Your holiest t-shirt
This class is for all skill levels, and textile and jewellery enthusiasts. Suitable for beginners
Find an inspiring workshop – ceramics, painting, watercolour, weaving, pottery, leather making, gin tasting, punch needle, ikebana, kokedama – you name it!
We are a creative hub for the arts / crafts / design movement providing workshops and events to inspire.
We seek out and promote local Melbourne based Artists.
We unleash the unexplored creativity in people.
We provide a social gathering for people to slow down and team up.
We create a sensory experience that will get people talking.
We have been described as "the craft version of a spa day".
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 4 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$50.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 4 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 4 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Our workshops are suitable for persons 16 years or older.
You may be photographed at this event.
The Windsor Workshop reserves the right to cancel any scheduled workshop. The reasons this may occur are (a) if a workshop does not reach the minimum number of students or (b) an Artist or Workshop Facilitator falls ill. In the unfortunate circumstance of a workshop being cancelled, students will be notified at least 2 days before the commencement of the workshop and a credit note will be issued to be used at a later date. Unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds if the class is cancelled.
If you are unable to attend your workshop, please let us know within four days of your workshop and we will give you a credit note to be used at a later date, or transfers are available upon request. No credit notes will be issued for cancellations when less than four working days' notice is given. Due to the nature of how we pay artists, order materials and supplies and pre-pay for catering and beverages, no refunds are available.
Purchase of your ticket accepts these Terms and Conditions