Pattern Design: There are both men's and women's shirt patterns available. Both styles button up the centre front and feature a back yoke. Choose from a mandarin collar or pussy bow ties for the girls, and a standard collar for the boys. You will learn how to set in sleeves with ease.
Photographed Sample: The grey blouse has a mandarin collar and is made from a 100% woven cotton with no give in the fabric. The red blouse features the pussy bow collar and is made from a lighter weight woven cotton blend crepe with more drape - creating the less structured sleeves.
Notes on supplies: This pattern is not suitable for knit fabrics. For directional prints, large prints and fabrics with nap you should purchase extra fabric. Click here to read about choosing the right interfacing. For best results - pre-wash your fabric to reduce shrinkage. This pattern is designed for making an unlined shirt. Be sure to take this in to consideration when choosing your fabric i.e. avoid 'scratchy' or see-through fabrics.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Thread Den VIP Member's Pricing
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy – Click Here
9 hours in duration. Scheduled over 3 x Thursday evenings from 6-9pm starting 27th July *Book both this blouse and the 1940s Pants before 24th July and you'll receive a FREE ticket to attend the 1940s Hair & Beauty Workshop on Saturday 26th August.
- Measurements, choosing the right size, pattern markings, placement, transferring markings
- Fusing interfacing, stitching bust darts and setting in a sleeve with ease
- Finishing seams, checking your fit, sewing a collar, using the one step buttonhole and hemming
- A button up blouse or shirt with sleeves
- Instructions to make the blouse/shirt
- A copy of the pattern
- Men's Shirt: 9 x 1cm buttons & 1 x .5cm button
- Women's Shirt: 5 x 1cm to 2cm buttons
- .5 metre iron/fusible lightweight interfacing
- Men's Shirt Fabric: S, M and L: 3metres. XL and XXL: 3.2metres crisp shirting, cotton linen or flannel
- For best results - pre-wash your fabric to reduce shrinkage
- 200metres + of matching sewing machine thread
- Women's Shirt: 2.5 metres of fabric - nearly any lightweight woven fabric will look fantastic: cotton shirting, lawn or crepe
✄✄ for students who have completed Sewing Basics Weeks 1-3 and are confident enough to try new techniques
Vendor since 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.