CLAY TASTER SUMMER SPECIAL
Clay Taster Summer Special with Maddy & Tatts
Interested in learning the ancient art of ceramics, but not sure if you're ready to do a whole term of classes?
Or just want some summer art therapy, let the hair down, make some amazing creations?
Or perhaps this will be a trial session to check if you're ready to commit to our 8 week term classes?
Bring a friend, get messy and have some fun!
The class will be split between two groups doing both handbuilding sculpture with Maddy and the other half wheel throwing with Tatts. After 1.5 hours, you will swap over and do the other technique to really give you a proper and full experience in understanding and having super fun with clay
In this 3 hour class, our engaging and friendly tutors will introduce students to the art of forming ceramic sculptural pieces by hand and vessels on the potter's wheel.
Express yourself through sculpture!
Revamp your kitchen ware with a beautiful vessel or two!
Included in your workshop fee:
- Introduction to the art of pottery;
- All materials and tools that you will need;
- 3 hours of fun on the potter’s wheel;
- A maximum of 5 masterpieces fired and glazed in the kiln and ready for collection 3-4 weeks after your workshop.
PLEASE NOTE: long fingernails are not conducive with pottery wheel throwing. If you can, please avoid nail extensions for this one-day crash course 😊🙏
PLEASE NOTE: this is a mature age class and is not suitable for children under 18 years of age unless accompanied by a mature adult attendee to the workshop e.g. Mum or Dad or an older sibling.
After your workshop:
- Our experienced tutor will trim and tidy all your masterpieces ready to be fired in the kiln;
- Our kiln technician will bisque fire your masterpieces. Then they will glaze them using food safe glazes and fire them a second time before packaging them up for you to collect;
So much work goes into the pieces behind the scenes, such is the dedication and commitment that Clay Talk makes in providing you with a fun time on the pottery wheel and professionally trimmed and glazed masterpieces to take home!
Please note what to bring (see below) and if you are confident that you might create more than 5 pieces in the allocated time, please bring a container or cardboard box to take your extra pieces home with you.
Your 5 finished ceramic pieces will be ready for collection at Montsalvat Reception 3-4 weeks after your workshop. You will be notified by email when your pieces are ready for collection.
What you will learn
- How to hand build and wheel throw pottery!
- 3 hour workshop split into two halves of 1.5 hr each with two tutors
- Amazing tutors with loads of fun!
What you will get
- Free clay and glaze firing 5 of your best pieces!
What to bring
- Closed-in shoes
What to wear
Casual / older clothes and covered or closed-in shoes - clay can get messy!
Anyone interested in trying ceramics. You may have never touched clay before or be looking to see if you're ready to get into it more seriously
The Clay Talk Ceramics Centre in Montsalvat is a ceramics facility located in the grounds of Montsalvat – Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community. The studio is an addition to Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced.
At Clay Talk, we aim to be a creative environment that brings students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs. Currently we offer classes where you can learn wheel throwing and hand building at all stages of development supplemented by specialist programs and workshops taught by established artists.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS
To secure your place in a class, course or workshop we require full payment at the time of booking.
Bookings are only accepted through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Payment of class, course or workshop fees can only be made through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Clay Talk studio is located on the grounds of Montsalvat. For this reason there are security measures in place to prevent trespassing and maintain your safety. Upon booking you should receive an Information Kit which has instructions on how to access Clay Talk studio.
REFUNDS / ABSENCE / TRANSFERS
- We DO NOT offer refunds or transfers if you change your mind. Please be sure you are able to commit to the class, course or workshop dates and times prior to booking.
- We do not offer 'make-up classes'. We might be able to offer alternative arrangements if you cannot attend class by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org to check if you are eligible within 5 working days of missing your class . Retrospective requests will not be accepted. Studio Access times are NOT make-up classes.
- Clay Talk reserves the right to cancel a class due to unforeseen circumstances such as insufficient enrolments. You will be notified prior to the class if cancellation of the class is deemed necessary and a pro-rata refund will be provided.
In the event of a lockdown or restrictions causing unavoidable or unforeseen interruption to the delivery of classes and workshops Clay Talk will endeavour to provide rescheduled classes and workshops.
In the event that students cannot attend the classes, students must email email@example.com as soon as possible prior to the commencement of the rescheduled class or workshop. If a student is unable to attend the rescheduled classes or workshop Clay Talk may, at its absolute discretion, provide either a credit note or a pro-rata refund (minus an administration fee of 10%).
Gift vouchers are only available through our online portal www.claytalk.weteachme.com/. Gift vouchers can be purchased for a minimum of $20 and are valid for 3 years from purchase. Gift vouchers can be only be used for booking classes, courses and/or workshops at Clay Talk through our online portal. Gift vouchers can be applied at check out when booking a class, course or workshop.
FIRING OF WORK
Most workshops include firing and glazing of a specific number of pieces. Check the workshop listing description on our online platform. Students participating in one-off workshops must label their pieces with the name associated with their booking/ticket.
We take extreme care with your work but accidents do happen and we are unable to guarantee that your work will be successfully fired. Clay Talk takes no responsibility for failure or breakage of work.
- Firing of 2.5kg of finished work per student is included in the term class fee.
- Students can make and fire more work over this limit however additional charges apply.
- Students must label each of their pieces with their Makers Mark (your Makers Mark is made up of the initials of your first, middle & last name and your class code e.g. John Adam Smith = JAS). No Makers Mark will mean your work will not be fired.
If a kiln shelf is badly damaged from your work due to incorrect glaze type or clay body, you will be charged for the cost of replacing that shelf.
- If your work damages the interior of the kiln, you will be required to pay a fine based on the severity of the damage to be determined by the Clay Talk Studio Coordinator.
COLLECTION OF WORK
- Firing, glazing and packaging of your work takes approximately 2-4 weeks after your class/workshop.
- You will be notified by email when your work is ready for collection.
- Student work must be collected within 1 month of being notified. Students will be notified by email to the email address provided upon booking. If fired work, leftover clay and/or tools are not collected within this time it will be disposed of or donated to Clay Talk Fundraising.