Established in 2009 and run by professional artists and highly qualified teachers, Fitzroy Painting for Beginners began when a need for a ‘back to basics’ method of teaching was identified.
This 4- week course is designed for the complete beginner as an introduction to the fundamentals of oil painting, including how to select the right mediums and materials, preparing to paint, basic colour theory, techniques and composition. You will learn the basics of oil painting through a series of exercises, making paintings as you go, and should be able to continue painting with confidence at home. Visit our website for more information: fitzroypainting.com
* PLEASE NOTE that due to high demand and limited places we are unable to offer 'make-up' classes, transfers or refunds for this special price 4-week course. Please check your diary before booking! Terms and conditions:
About your tutors:
Kez Hughes graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts and Music in 2015 with a Bachelor of Fine Art (Hons) Painting and has gone on to lecture at the Ian Potter Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation at Melbourne University and the Victorian College of Arts and Music. In 2015 along with artist Storm Gold, Kez opened CAVES, a curated, not for profit gallery located at the Nicholas Building in Melbourne, Australia.
John R. Neeson is a well known Melbourne based Artist/Educator. He has extensive teaching experience at a number of schools including the Victorian College of the Arts, Melbourne Polytechnic and Monash University. He has a PhD from Monash University and as a Samstag Scholar a research qualification from The Royal College of Art, London. In addition he has had numerous one person exhibitions in Australia and overseas. John has also been Artist in Residence at Tarrawarra Museum of Art, the Bundanon Trust, ARCO- Lisbon, ArtHouse -London and most recently Point B-New York, A-I-M-Berlin and Laughing Waters-Eltham.
Where to purchase your materials:
You can hire or purchase* a basic kit from us online at time of booking or order a kit through the art shops listed below.
*Fitzroy Painting kit contains 5 tubes artist quality oil paints, painting medium, palette knife, dipper and a brush set. Oil sketch paper provided throughout course.
The following offer our students a 10% discount
Neil Wallace Printmaking Supplies 409 Gore St, Fitzroy Tel: (03) 9419 5949
St Luke, 32 Smith St, Collingwood Tel: (03) 9486 9992
MES, 33A St David, St, Fitzroy 3065 Tel: (03) 9419 5666
Chapman & Bailey, 350 Johnston St, Abbotsford 3067 Tel: (03) 9415 8666
6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
- Introduction to oil painting: use of materials, understanding colour, tone and composition
- How to develop your work and continue painting at home
- Practical demonstrations and safe studio practice
- Individual attention and support
- Insight into the practical application of art materials and techniques
- Step-by-step guidance by professional artists
- Gourmet refreshments
- Your own paintings to take home and proudly display
- The opportunity to learn in a relaxing and supportive environment, and make new friends
- Use of studio equipment, including low-toxic, low-odour solvents and mediums, safe clean-up materials and many extras!
- Your own materials and oil sketch paper (or hire a kit from us, all materials supplied). Materials list attached to booking confirmation and on our website, www.fitzroypainting.com
Casual clothes, aprons provided. Painting can be messy!
If you would like to gift this course AND add on kit hire ($50) OR purchase a kit from us ($100) please add that to the total gift amount.
Vendor sincce 2013
Established in 2009 and based on the top floor of a Victorian heritage building overlooking bustling Brunswick Street, Fitzroy Painting for Beginners is the original and best of private art classes in Fitzroy! A working artists studio, the space provides a great environment to develop your painting and drawing skills with the expert support and guidance of highly qualified teachers and full-time professional artists.
Our 4 - Week Beginners Courses are designed for the complete beginner, taking you through a series of exercises and building your skills week by week as you produce paintings to take home. Students may choose to continue to our Beginners Course: Level 2. Ongoing students are supported to help develop their own direction, with optional exercises offered to expand on skills and knowledge, and our Atelier students are assisted in taking it to the next level in professional practice.
Love the class? All students wishing to extend their course may purchase 4 or 8 - week blocks for ongoing students at a discounted rate. Some of our students have gone on to Higher Education courses and are now exhibiting professionally!
Need to miss a class? We understand busy lives and offer flexibility - just let us know in advance and we'll credit you a class. (Maximum of 2 changes per 8 weeks, ongoing and Atelier students only).
Evening classes include wine and cheese, and morning classes include tea, coffee and cakes. Classes run for 3 hours and basic equipment is available for student use at the studio, including easels, aprons, palettes and drawing boards. We believe in safe studio-practice and provide low-toxic, low-odour materials for student use, as well as high-quality clean-up materials for brushes and hands. We also have storage facilities if you wish to keep your materials at the studio.
Each student works at their own pace and receives one-on-one attention, and all students are invited to exhibit in our annual end of year exhibition, a fun opportunity to show family and friends what you’ve been doing!
Visit our website for more info and pictures of student work! www.fitzroypainting.com
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 20 days before the course commencement date.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
* Please note that you are welcome to store your materials at the studio however space is limited, so please take them home at the end of your course! Uncollected materials and paintings are disposed of at the end of the year.