Long Weekend Vibes Introduction to Jewellery
(+1 more date)
Long Weekend Vibes Introduction to Jewellery
When: Easter, June & October Long Weekend
Duration: 10:30am - 4:30pm 3 Days
Class size: Maximum 8 people
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
You will be guided through the following techniques:
Sawing/piercing - Become proficient in setting up and using the jeweller's piercing saw to cut metal to size.
Annealing, texturing and shaping - You will gain an understanding in how to gently heat your metal to soften it, allowing you to then decorate and shape your metal. You will learn how to measure a ring size; form, shape and use a hand held oxy/gas torch to solder your silver.
Reticulation, granulation, doming and jewellery findings – You will become able to bring rich depth to your pieces with ancient metallurgic knowledge and 3 Dimensional shapes. You will have the opportunity to learn how to make your own catches, earring hooks and jump-rings.
Finishing - You will acquire a knowledge of how to file and polish your finished design and introduce colour to your work using patination techniques.
You will be introduced to industry standard machinery and equipment that will help you to refine your approach to jewellery making. Each day begins with short, structured technical exercises and then fabricating, decorating and joining will be demonstrated. You will learn the basic skills needed to create your own sterling silver ring and the remaining time can be used to create your own jewellery designs using your new skills. Everyone should complete at least one piece of jewellery.
Discussion between tutor and the students as a group and as individuals will take place to guide you to improve your skills.
All materials included. A take home starter kit is supplied for your initial projects (day one) and a small selection of precious metals and base metals for your remaining designs.
All the tools, materials and consumables you need for the course will be available at the venue; including an apron. You may want to buy further materials from our metal suppliers – your tutor will provide you with supplier information.
For health and safety reasons, please bring along with you the following
Hair tie: If you have long hair, please bring along something to tie it back with.
Closed in shoes: We will be working with hot, sharp and heavy tools, so please wear shoes, which will protect your feet. Avoid wearing loose flowing garments.
Sketch book/note book/ pen and/or pencil: Please bring along a notebook for your own notes and design ideas. Notes will be provided to complement the techniques you will be learning but you may wish to make your own notes.
Remember: If you use glasses for reading and /or close up work please remember to bring them along.
Please read our Terms & Conditions and Refund and Cancellation Policy carefully prior to enrolling.
What you will learn
- In this introductory course you will experience the use of a range of jewellery tools and techniques in a friendly and relaxed environment. Your experienced tutor will guide you through a range of techniques for basic introductory jewellery making. You will have the opportunity to learn different styles and design ideas.
What you will get
- You will be introduced to industry standard machinery and equipment that will help you to refine your approach to jewellery making. Each day begins with short, structured technical exercises and then fabricating, decorating and joining will be demonstrated. You will learn the basic skills needed to create your own sterling silver ring and the remaining time can be used to create your own jewellery designs using your new skills. Everyone should complete at least one piece of jewellery. Discussion between tutor and the students as a group and as individuals will take place to guide you to improve your skills.
Entrance to Joynton Avenue Creative Centre is via Hansard Street. If you are driving, there is plenty of parking located on and around Portman Street and Hansard Street.
Please note that there is NO PARKING on Joynton Avenue.
The Bench at JACC is close to train and bus. The closest train station is Green Square, and is only a 10 minute walk. There are buses travelling to and from the Eastern Suburbs, the Inner West and Sydney CBD. Please use Tripview or Google Maps to find your best route.
Alternatively contact The Bench for assistance.
What to bring
- All materials included. A take home starter kit is supplied for your initial projects and a small selection of precious metals and base metals for your remaining designs. Sterling silver for your ring/ pendant, sterling silver sheet and consumables is supplied.
What to wear
For health and safety reasons, please bring along with you the following Hair tie: If you have long hair, please bring along something to tie it back with. Closed in shoes: We will be working with hot, sharp and heavy tools, so please wear shoes, which will protect your feet. Avoid wearing loose flowing garments. Remember: If you use glasses for reading and /or close up work please remember to bring them along.
All ages and skill level welcome
The Bench is a modern, industry standard workshop focusing on education and training for the industry and community. Director and principle tutor Erin Keys established The Bench because she wanted a place for a community to grow together and share their knowledge and experience. With little start up money and no regular funding, we raised funds to build a relaxed and friendly place to learn traditional and contemporary jewellery techniques, a space to develop ideas and projects such as ring making, silver jewellery and stone setting gems. We provide concept based jewellery classes to the absolute beginner, the aspiring maker and to the professional jeweller.
The Bench offers the community the following:
Jewellery Classes, jewellery specializations, professional jewellery development, private jewellery lessons, corporate team building and jewellery related activities.
Why learn to make jewellery at The Bench?
When you become a student at The Bench you are contributing to the viability and sustainability of our workshop, including the general maintenance. By learning to make jewellery at The Bench, you are supporting the establishment of a creative community, and are helping The Bench to evolve & experiment with new programs.
The Bench Jewellery School and Workshop is dedicated to building an unparalleled jewellery centre that delivers quality programs for the betterment of the community and the jewellery industry. The Bench is an open window to learn, design and share by creating experiences and fostering the next generation of makers. It is a place to learn, work, and discuss ideas and share knowledge, a laboratory for the creation of jewellery.
The Bench is a safe working and learning environment, complete with a wide inventory of tools and equipment. The Bench cultivates inclusive, creative and accessible spaces for everyone to have the opportunity to feel safe and welcomed. Our programs and activities offer opportunities for artists and audiences with disability to engage and participate.
Established in 2020, The Bench is located at the exquisite historic site, Joynton Avenue Creative Centre in Green Square. The former South Sydney Hospital comprised a group of brick buildings dating from 1911. Within the precinct, the Joynton Avenue Creative Centre occupies the Esme Cahill building, which was the nurses’ accommodation block, opened in 1938. The Joynton Avenue Creative Precinct by Peter Stutchbury Architecture (PSA), in association with Design 5 – Architects as heritage consultant, completed for the City of Sydney. Easily accessed by Bus, Train, Ride, Walk and with Wheelchair accessibility.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 14 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$56.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$32.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$16.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at The Bench or organised by The Bench must agree to these terms and conditions.
BOOKINGS - PAYMENT & CANCELLATION POLICY:
SECTION 1 Terms and Conditions / POLICIES
1.1 LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by The Bench. We take your health and safety seriously. The following are general guidelines when you participate in a class. Always follow the instructions of the teacher at all times. Do not touch or operate any equipment you have not been shows how to operate. If you use glasses for reading and /or close up work please remember to bring them along. If you have long hair, please bring along something to tie it back with. We will be working with hot, sharp and heavy tools, so please wear shoes, which will protect your feet. Avoid wearing loose flowing garments. Eye/ ear and face masks that are required for a class will be provided and you must wear them at all times if instructed to do so. Please advise if you are pregnant prior to a class.
We have a strict no refund policy. If you think you qualify for a refund, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and reason for refund. Please read here for our workshop policies. Once your order number is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your request. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund. If you are approved, then your refund (less Third Party booking fees) will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your original method of payment. Please note that refunds may take several days to process so won't show in your account straight away.
1.3 HOW TO REQUEST A REFUND
● Contact our The Bench Sydney customer service team at email@example.com to request an exchange/refund no less than 14 business days from your course start date. Please include your full name, order number and reason for refund.
● Once approved, our customer service team will process your refund or exchange. (if applicable) Fees may apply.
2.1 TAX & THIRD PARTY BOOKING FEES
All of our sales include Taxes and incur Third Party booking fees. If you request a refund, transfer or credit, Third Party Fees may be applicable up to 20% of the dollar value of your order. In order to ensure there are no fees, please consider your schedule at time of booking and if changes are unavoidable, please contact the customer service team ASAP firstname.lastname@example.org
3.1 WORKSHOP DESK HIRE POLICIES
By making a booking with us, you are confirming that you have read, understood and agree to the policies we have set in place below.
● This is not a 1on1 session. During your booking, you will be unassisted, and whilst there will be staff around, we are not able to tutor you. This booking is purely for you to use our space and tools.
● During your session you are expected to treat the space and tools with respect. Any damage to our property will be paid for by the customer.
● We often have metal on site for you to purchase. If you have any specific requests, it's best if you email us 14 business days before your booking so we have time to order some for you. If less notice is given, this may result in the materials not showing in time for your booking.
● You are welcome to bring any of your own materials, tools and metal to use.
● The Bench Sydney does not take responsibility for any injuries or damage to personal property during your session.
3.2 Refunds, Rescheduling and Cancellations
● You will NOT be eligible for a refund if you don't show up or miss your booking without warning. Please make sure if you have a change of plans, you email us in accordance with the policies below. ● A full refund (fees apply) can be issued if you cancel within at least 14 business days of your booking.
● If less than 14 business days' notice is given, a credit can be issued (fees apply).
● If you need to reschedule your booking, please email us to discuss.
4.1 CANCELLATIONS & RESCHEDULING
To cancel your spot, you will need to contact email@example.com via email. We have a strict 2-week (14 business days) cancellation policy. If less than 14 business day notice is given, we will be unable to offer you a full refund. We can offer you a credit to rebook your workshop or a refund of 50% up to 7 days prior to the workshop. Please note that cancellations within 1 week of your class will result in no refund, transfer or credit.
The Bench Sydney runs small, intimate workshops, and it is unlikely that with less than a week's notice we will be able to fill your spot. You are more than welcome to send a friend in your place, just shoot us an email to let us know! If you would like to rebook your workshop to a different date within the one week's time frame, a $56 fee is required to book into another class. If you are not willing to pay this your ticket will be forfeited. If your class has been rebooked from your original date, we are unable to provide a refund regardless of the two week refund notice. If a class is missed, no refund or make-up session can be offered. Please set a reminder and double check dates and times before.
4.2 Covid-19 IMPACT
We understand that COVID-19 has been a tough time for everyone. In the event of having to isolate for COVID-19 reasons, please contact us via phone or email as soon as you can. We will endeavor to find you a new spot in another one of our workshops provided that you are able to show a positive PCR or rapid test. Please be aware that we are a small business and we have been hit hard by COVID-19 the last three years, like everyone else. We would appreciate kindness and understanding in all communications! If you are unable to attend your session due to COVID-19, you will be required to show a positive PCR or rapid test.
We require a minimum of 5 bookings in order to run a class. If we do not meet this minimum, we may cancel the workshop and offer you a credit to attend a workshop of the same value in future.
4.4 GOLD WORKSHOPS
If you decide to book a gold jewellery workshop, it is essential that you read this policy before making a purchase. Due to the ever-fluctuating price of gold, we're unable to keep surplus on hand. This means that we order it specifically for you when you book a gold workshop with us. We need at-least 14 business days to order it so that it arrives in time for your booking. Leaving less than two weeks means the metal will likely not arrive in time.
4.5 PHOTOGRAPHY/ VIDEOGRAPHY
The Bench Sydney reserves the right to take photographs and video footage during workshops. We intend to use this footage for the purpose of advertising our workshops through various media platforms without payment to students. We are very respectful and aware not to photograph faces or post imagery that identifies individuals unless agreed upon. Please let us know if you do not want to be included in any digital footage.
By completing your purchase, you are confirming that you have read, understood and agree to our terms and conditions / policies.
The Bench Sydney and its contractors are not liable or responsible for any injury or and loss or damage to personal possessions at any time.
● A 50% deposit of the total amount is required to lock in the date
● The remaining amount is due 1 week prior to the event
● Cancellations made within a week will result in no refund of your deposit, we will do our best to reschedule you to another date. If all parties can not make it to the newly discussed date, there will be no refund given.
● Cancellations made with at least a 14-business day notice are eligible for a deposit refund (fees are applicable)