PLEASE NOTE NEW DATES FOR THIS WORKSHOP - NOW 20 and 21 OCTOBER
Transform your sewing machine into an unconventional drawing tool. You'll be in control of every stitch, allowing your creativity and imagination to run wild. This technique-based workshop explores the unique embroidery processes that Meredith uses in her highly sought-after artworks. Over the two days, by stitching onto a combination of woven and water-soluble fabrics, you will create a range of experimental embroidered artworks.
You'll also discover basic resin embedding and casting processes. Embed small objects into resin blocks creating freestanding sculptures, small jewelry pieces or unique sculpture stands for your embroidered creations.
Guest Tutor: Meredith is an internationally acclaimed, award winning artist from Newcastle, Australia. Her work is held in public, private and corporate collections worldwide. A piece can take as little as a day or be worked on over several months. Her elegant embroidered traceries capture the delicate beauty of nature in knotted embroidery threads. Through a delicate system of tiny stitches she creates intricate and complex openwork compositions that are then carefully pinned in shadowboxes, just like preserved specimens. Inspired by the patterns, structures and shapes found in plants, coral, cells and shells, Meredith's embroideries represent both the robust beauty and elegant fragility of life.
Course Fee: $485.00 paid in 4 instalments: 25% now; 25% on 13 July 2017; 25% on 13 Sept 2017; 25% on 6 Oct 2017.
Materials Fee: $20 cash paid to the tutor
Fri 20 & Sat 21 Oct 2017, 9.30-4.30, with breaks for morning tea and lunch
- Learn the unique embroidery processes Meredith uses in her internationally recognised artworks
- Transform your sewing machine into an unconventional drawing tool
- Learn basic resin embedding and casting
- Take home one (or more) amazing sculptural embroideries and the know-how & skill to make more!
- Take home one (or more) cast resin blocks to use as jewellery pieces or as stands for your embroidery
- Get hands-on with an internationally recognised artist
- Spend 2 relaxing and creative days with a small group of like minded individuals
- A freehand embroidery foot or darning foot for your sewing machine
- Spare sewing machine needles (sharp or jeans needles recommended)
- Bobbins suited to your machine
- A small embroidery hoop (15 – 25cm is good) - or purchase from us
- Embroidery scissors
- Squares of sample fabric to fit your embroidery hoop (calico or cotton drill suggested but any woven fabric is suitable)
- Embroidery threads of your choice (high quality polyester thread recommended)
- (Optional) Thread stand (if you like to work with one)
- Note pad or small sketch book and pencils/pens
- BYO sewing machine (with the capability to turn the feet teeth off)
- Small objects or materials to embed in resin (could be shells, fabric scraps, feathers, threads, beads, and other small objects that fascinate you)
Comfortable clothes for crafting.
Adults 15 years & older. Suited to all levels. No experience is necessary but basic sewing machine operation skills will be helpful
Vendor sincce 2015
Be enticed by the colour and texture of Opendrawer. Founded by Robyn Steel-Stickland (& co.) in 2010, we've been described as edgy, arty, elegant, unique and quirky. Part gallery shop for handmade artist product from all around Australia. Part vintage and textile art supply wonderland. Part workshop for people of all skill levels. All creativity hub.
At Opendrawer, you'll learn skills, techniques and ideas that encourage you to find your own creativity.
You can enrol in courses or workshops in felt, creativity, sewing, embroidery, book making, crochet, dyeing, drawing, jewellery making, paper sculpture, art & design, mixed media, and more.
We're open to expressions of interest, so let us know if there's something you want to learn.
If for any reason you decide that the workshop you have done or are doing does not suit you, then that is a personal decision and no refund will be given.
If Opendrawer cancels a workshop, you will be given a full refunds or can choose a replacement workshop to the same value as the workshop being cancelled. You will be notified at least 2 days before the due date of the workshop if cancellation is necessary due to insufficient enrolments.
A $10 admin fee applies to all changes of date/workshop bookings.
Cancellations made within two weeks of the booked workshop will forfeit 50% of the advertised fee - or you may find a replacement student.
Cancellations made within 24 hours of the workshop will forfeit the full advertised fee - or you may find a replacement student.
If for any reason you decide that the workshop you have done or are doing does not suit your, then that is a personal decision and no refund will be given.
A minimum of five people are required for a workshop to run. Opendrawer reserves the right to cancel a workshop if the minimum booking is not achieved. Full refunds will be given or a replacement workshop offered to the same value as the workshop being cancelled. You will be notified at least 2 days before the due date of the workshop if cancellation is deemed necessary.Unfortunately, due to the workshop timetable no makeup classes are avaiable.