Work-Shop Makery is teaming up again with Just Drinks, where we will be weaving, drinking tea and aspiring to make change in our community.
On White Ribbon Night communities across Australia are encouraged to unite together to bring an end to violence against women by having a night in to get the word out. So Work-Shop Makery thought, what better activity to bring people together, than contributing to the international weaving project #onemillionstars to #endviolence!
We would love to have a cup of tea with you, so come join us in this worthy cause and #getyourstarweaveon!
Violence against women is a serious problem in Australia. This needs to stop.
- Over 12 months, on average, one woman is killed every week as a result of intimate partner violence.
- Intimate partner violence is the leading contributor to death, disability and ill-health in Australian women aged 15-44.
- One in three women have experienced physical and/or sexual violence perpetrated by someone known to them.
- One in four children are exposed to domestic violence, which is a recognised form of child abuse.
- The cost of violence against women to the Australian economy is estimated to rise to $15.6 billion per annum.
- One in five women experience harassment within the workplace.
- One in five women over 18 has been stalked during her lifetime.
About One Million Star
1 Million Stars to End Violence is an international weaving project by artist Maryann Talia Pau. The goal is to end violence by bringing people together across the world to weave stars as symbols of light, courage and solidarity to end all forms of violence, including violence against women. Almost 500,000 stars have been woven to date. Maryann hopes to collect 1 million stars by 2017, for a stellar display in 2018. More details at www.onemillionstars.net
White Ribbon is Australia’s only national, male led Campaign to end men’s violence against women.
All women live in safety free from all forms of men’s violence.
Making women’s safety a man’s issue too.
The campaign works through primary prevention initiatives involving awareness raising and education, and programs with youth, schools, workplaces and across the broader community.
- On White Ribbon Night communities across Australia are encouraged to unite together to bring an end to violence against women by having a night in to get the word out.
- Bring people together, than contributing to the international weaving project #onemillionstars to #endviolence!
- Violence against women is a serious problem in Australia.
- This is a ticketed event, where all monetary donations will be going to White Ribbon, and all woven stars will be donated to the #onemillionstar project.
- Your donation will get you a White Ribbon ribbon, materials to make stars, a cup of tea by The Saha Store and some yummy nibblies.
- If you would like to make any further donations, we will be collecting money on the night for White Ribbon.
- Your participation to make a difference!
- If you want to practice weaving stars before you arrive, check out the instructional video here. Or learn on the night from your fellow star weavers.
- A few extra coins to make donations to White Ribbon.
- Friends! Family! Loved ones!
Everyone interested to make a stand on violence against women!
Vendor since 2014
Work-Shop is a creative concept that will broaden your horizons and help you unleash your inner awesome. We provide affordable short courses in life skills and alternative art. We’ve teamed up with Australia’s brightest creative minds to share their knowledge and help teach you a new skill.
From printmaking and stencil art through to music and gardening. From life skills and personal development through to blending tea and parkour, we offer a broad range of fun and creative short courses to suit our time poor lives. We will inspire you to pick up that pen, paintbrush, hammer or sewing machine and flick the switch that will kickstart a whole new way of life.
Locations: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide & Fremantle
Work-Shop requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. If you do miss this window, earn some extra karma points and give your ticket to one of your buddies. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email email@example.com to organise a refund or transfer.
We’ll do our darndest to run all scheduled classes, however, let’s face it… sometimes shit happens! Most of our classes must have a minimum of 5 participants before we can put them on. In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Work-Shop or organised by Work-Shop must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
- Any damage, loss or theft incurred to personal property property brought into Work-Shop’s premises.
- Any physical injuries sustained as a result of participating in any class or event organised by Work-Shop.
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Work-Shop.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Work-Shop unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Work-Shop classes and events or on Work-Shop’s premises. (Don’t worry, we’ll only these use to show others how much of a rad time you’re having through social media, newsletters, blogs, website and general Work-Shop promo material)
Work-Shop requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class for a full refund or transfer. If you miss this window, earn some extra karma points and give your ticket to one of your buddies. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise a refund.
We’ll do our darndest to run all scheduled classes. Most of our classes must have a minimum of 5 participants before we can put them on. In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.