Intermediate Wheel Throwing - Thur AM - TERM CLASS
Term 1 2023: Thursday 9th February - Thursday 30th March
Tutor: Keiko Matsui
Intermediate Wheel Throwing will take your basic skills from our Discover Wheel Throwing course and progress them to the next level. This 2.5 hour class is taught by Keiko Matsui who has over 20 years' experience in ceramics. This class is an eight week class which runs for 2.5 hours on Thursday mornings, giving you extra time for the more dedicated and practised potter. The course will build upon the intrinsic skill set of correct studio practice, tool use, preparation and throwing more complex forms.
This course is designed for students with intermediate skills and is not suitable for beginners. If you are unsure of your suitability, please get in touch by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be room within the course to introduce some more advanced studio considerations such as altering thrown forms, handle application, making duplicates/sets, throwing off the hump, throwing with large amounts of clay, advance surface decoration and glaze application along with some challenging projects thrown in along the way.
Why Clay Talk?
Our class sizes are small so you can develop your skills, find your individual style and learn at your own pace. Clay Talk @ Montsalvat’s spacious and beautifully designed ceramic studio is a great space to tap into your creativity.
About your tutor Keiko:
Keiko has over 20 years’ experience working in ceramics, initially moving to Australia in 1999 from Japan and completing a Bachelor of Fine Art (Honours) degree in 2006 at the National Art School in Sydney.
She has been teaching ceramics for adults and children in Sydney since 2007, including a porcelain technique courses at Hornsby TAFE, NSW. Keiko's way of teaching is student focused; she observes each student’s needs and teaches them individually with her Osakan sense of humour and smile.
Keiko had her first solo exhibition at Sturt Gallery in Mittagong in 2012 after exhibiting many group shows since 2003. Her achievements include Gosford Art Prize (Winner in Ceramics, 2014, 2012, and 2018), Vitrify Alcorso Ceramic Award (Finalist, 2013), John Fries Memorial Award (Finalist, 2011) Small Art Object Prize in Vallauris, France (Winner, 2009) and the Woollahra Small Sculpture Prize. (Viewer’s choice award, 2008).
What you will learn
- How to prepare your clay, centre it on the wheel and step-by-step throwing skills for making simple vessel forms such as cylinders and bowls
- How to finish your work by turning and trimming.
- Introduction and development in glazes, glazing and preparing your pieces for firing
What you will get
- FREE 10kg of Clayworks JB3 white stoneware clay to start you off
- Use of wheels and other equipment such as banding wheels & tools
- First 2.5kg of fired work is for FREE! After 2.5kg, additional charges apply.
What to bring
- Clay tool kit. (Available during checkout or from any art supply store)
What to wear
Casual / older clothes and covered or closed-in shoes - clay can get messy!
Anyone interested in learning ceramics and wants to develop their techniques. You may have never touched clay before, want a refresher course or are keen to build your skills that bit further.
The Clay Talk Ceramics Centre in Montsalvat is a ceramics facility located in the grounds of Montsalvat – Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community. The studio is an addition to Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced.
At Clay Talk, we aim to be a creative environment that brings students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs. Currently we offer classes where you can learn wheel throwing and hand building at all stages of development supplemented by specialist programs and workshops taught by established artists.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS
To secure your place in a class, course or workshop we require full payment at the time of booking.
Bookings are only accepted through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Payment of class, course or workshop fees can only be made through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Clay Talk studio is located on the grounds of Montsalvat. For this reason there are security measures in place to prevent trespassing and maintain your safety. Upon booking you should receive an Information Kit which has instructions on how to access Clay Talk studio.
REFUNDS / ABSENCE / TRANSFERS
- We DO NOT offer refunds or transfers if you change your mind. Please be sure you are able to commit to the class, course or workshop dates and times prior to booking.
- We do not offer 'make-up classes'. We might be able to offer alternative arrangements if you cannot attend class by contacting us at email@example.com to check if you are eligible within 5 working days of missing your class . Retrospective requests will not be accepted. Studio Access times are NOT make-up classes.
- Clay Talk reserves the right to cancel a class due to unforeseen circumstances such as insufficient enrolments. You will be notified prior to the class if cancellation of the class is deemed necessary and a pro-rata refund will be provided.
In the event of a lockdown or restrictions causing unavoidable or unforeseen interruption to the delivery of classes and workshops Clay Talk will endeavour to provide rescheduled classes and workshops.
In the event that students cannot attend the classes, students must email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible prior to the commencement of the rescheduled class or workshop. If a student is unable to attend the rescheduled classes or workshop Clay Talk may, at its absolute discretion, provide either a credit note or a pro-rata refund (minus an administration fee of 10%).
Gift vouchers are only available through our online portal www.claytalk.weteachme.com/. Gift vouchers can be purchased for a minimum of $20 and are valid for 3 years from purchase. Gift vouchers can be only be used for booking classes, courses and/or workshops at Clay Talk through our online portal. Gift vouchers can be applied at check out when booking a class, course or workshop.
FIRING OF WORK
Most workshops include firing and glazing of a specific number of pieces. Check the workshop listing description on our online platform. Students participating in one-off workshops must label their pieces with the name associated with their booking/ticket.
We take extreme care with your work but accidents do happen and we are unable to guarantee that your work will be successfully fired. Clay Talk takes no responsibility for failure or breakage of work.
- Firing of 2.5kg of finished work per student is included in the term class fee.
- Students can make and fire more work over this limit however additional charges apply.
- Students must label each of their pieces with their Makers Mark (your Makers Mark is made up of the initials of your first, middle & last name and your class code e.g. John Adam Smith = JAS). No Makers Mark will mean your work will not be fired.
If a kiln shelf is badly damaged from your work due to incorrect glaze type or clay body, you will be charged for the cost of replacing that shelf.
- If your work damages the interior of the kiln, you will be required to pay a fine based on the severity of the damage to be determined by the Clay Talk Studio Coordinator.
COLLECTION OF WORK
- Firing, glazing and packaging of your work takes approximately 2-4 weeks after your class/workshop.
- You will be notified by email when your work is ready for collection.
- Student work must be collected within 1 month of being notified. Students will be notified by email to the email address provided upon booking. If fired work, leftover clay and/or tools are not collected within this time it will be disposed of or donated to Clay Talk Fundraising.