Teen Clay Classes (ages 12 - 18) - TERM CLASS
Term 2 2022: Wednesday 4th May - Wednesday 22nd June 4:30pm - 6pm.
This 8 week term class is specially designed for young people aged between 12-18 years of age, who love art & creativity and who wish to extend their skills or want to dive into clay for the first time. In this class, students will discover and indulge in the amazing world of pottery and clay at Clay Talk at Montsalvat.
This 1.5 hour class conveniently runs after school from 4.30 - 6pm on Wednesdays for 8 weeks.
Students will learn to throw on the Potter’s Wheel and build amazing sculptures by hand. An experienced ceramics tutor will teach the basic skills involved in throwing small vessels, to sculpting their most mythical of animals by hand or even assisting them in their special school art project or assignment whilst having tonnes of fun in the process!
At Clay Talk we want to deliver the best of both worlds to students when learning about ceramics, both on the wheel and handbuilding more complex and abstract forms.
Students will be able to make to their hearts content, guided by the tutor. Their pieces will be finished off by the kiln technician who will fire their works to be able to take home after they come out of the kiln.
What to bring:
* an apron - clay can get messy!
What is inlcuded:
* glazes, underglazes, colourants
* pottery and sculpting tools
*kiln firings of their pieces
Maximum of 8 students so there is plenty of one-on-one learning time to develop each students skills, style and/or personal project.
Skill level required:
Students aged 12-18years of age of all skill levels and abilities are very welcome to join!
What you will learn
- Express themselves through fun and imaginative play with clay
- How to relax and be present while being absorbed in throwing on the potter's wheel
What you will get
- Unlimited clay, glazes & firings PLUS loads of pottery wheel fun!
What to bring
What to wear
Comfortable older clothes and closed in shoes - Clay can get messy! No sandals. No long nails.
Creative young minds interested in trying ceramics. You may have never touched clay before or be looking to extend your existing skills.
The Clay Talk Ceramics Centre in Montsalvat is a ceramics facility located in the grounds of Montsalvat – Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community. The studio is an addition to Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced.
At Clay Talk, we aim to be a creative environment that brings students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs. Currently we offer classes where you can learn wheel throwing and hand building at all stages of development supplemented by specialist programs and workshops taught by established artists.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a transfer or credit note.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS
To secure your place in a class, course or workshop we require full payment at the time of booking.
Bookings are only accepted through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Payment of class, course or workshop fees can only be made through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Clay Talk studio is located on the grounds of Montsalvat. For this reason there are security measures in place to prevent trespassing and maintain your safety. Upon booking you should receive an Information Kit which has instructions on how to access Clay Talk studio.
REFUNDS / ABSENCE / TRANSFERS
- We DO NOT offer refunds or transfers if you change your mind. Please be sure you are able to commit to the class, course or workshop dates and times prior to booking.
- We do not offer 'make-up classes'. We might be able to offer alternative arrangements if you cannot attend class by contacting us at email@example.com to check if you are eligible within 5 working days of missing your class . Retrospective requests will not be accepted. Studio Access times are NOT make-up classes.
- Clay Talk reserves the right to cancel a class due to unforeseen circumstances such as insufficient enrolments. You will be notified prior to the class if cancellation of the class is deemed necessary and a pro-rata refund will be provided.
In the event of a lockdown or restrictions causing unavoidable or unforeseen interruption to the delivery of classes and workshops Clay Talk will endeavour to provide rescheduled classes and workshops.
In the event that students cannot attend the classes, students must email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible prior to the commencement of the rescheduled class or workshop. If a student is unable to attend the rescheduled classes or workshop Clay Talk may, at its absolute discretion, provide either a credit note or a pro-rata refund (minus an administration fee of 10%).
Gift vouchers are only available through our online portal www.claytalk.weteachme.com/. Gift vouchers can be purchased for a minimum of $20 and are valid for 3 years from purchase. Gift vouchers can be only be used for booking classes, courses and/or workshops at Clay Talk through our online portal. Gift vouchers can be applied at check out when booking a class, course or workshop.
FIRING OF WORK
Most workshops include firing and glazing of a specific number of pieces. Check the workshop listing description on our online platform. Students participating in one-off workshops must label their pieces with the name associated with their booking/ticket.
We take extreme care with your work but accidents do happen and we are unable to guarantee that your work will be successfully fired. Clay Talk takes no responsibility for failure or breakage of work.
- Firing of 2.5kg of finished work per student is included in the term class fee.
- Students can make and fire more work over this limit however additional charges apply.
- Students must label each of their pieces with their Makers Mark (your Makers Mark is made up of the initials of your first, middle & last name and your class code e.g. John Adam Smith = JAS). No Makers Mark will mean your work will not be fired.
If a kiln shelf is badly damaged from your work due to incorrect glaze type or clay body, you will be charged for the cost of replacing that shelf.
- If your work damages the interior of the kiln, you will be required to pay a fine based on the severity of the damage to be determined by the Clay Talk Studio Coordinator.
COLLECTION OF WORK
- Firing, glazing and packaging of your work takes approximately 2-4 weeks after your class/workshop.
- You will be notified by email when your work is ready for collection.
- Student work must be collected within 1 month of being notified. Students will be notified by email to the email address provided upon booking. If fired work, leftover clay and/or tools are not collected within this time it will be disposed of or donated to Clay Talk Fundraising.