Our Beginners Jewellery Making Course is designed to teach you the fundamentals of jewellery making and design. Over seven weeks, you’ll learn everything you need to know about how to make your own silver ring. All tools and base metals are provided, as well as a strip of silver.
- Metal cutting – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
- How to size your ring
- Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
- Roller printing – learn how to impress directly on to metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand cut stencils and much more
- Soldering – using special jewellery torches students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band
- Forming metal – how to shape and dome metal
- Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
- Patinate – use our special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design
- Soldering – using special jewellery torches students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band and other jewellery
- All the fundamentals of jewellery making you need to know to allow you to make your own silver ring plus more
- Cutting, texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
- Base metal sheet and wire
- Sterling silver for your first ring
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
All students must wear enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately
No previous experience in design or jewellery making is required.
Vendor since 2016
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for our refund policy. If you have any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course fees must be paid in full or as a pay by instalment plan on enrolment and are non-refundable.
Notwithstanding section 1, the course fees may be refundable in the event that a course is cancelled or oversubscribed.
A course may be cancelled in the event that there is an insufficient number of students subscribed to the course.
Our courses are open to students 16 years and older, Jewellery Studio Bench access is open to students 18 years and older.
It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes or refunds, or credits are issued for non attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
Some of our courses require prior learning, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as at 1 May, 2020. Subject to change as per Government directives.
In the event a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives regarding social distancing, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next date on which the course or workshop is scheduled and notify the student of the change in a timely manner.
In the case that the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to latest Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors with regard to social distancing and appropriate hygiene measures whilst attending SquarePeg Studios.
Students must not attend SquarePeg studios if they are unwell, have been in contact with a person that has tested positive to Covid-19 or returned from overseas within the past two weeks.