“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s, there are few” Shunryu Suzuki
Are you a jeweller or maker who feels like your practice needs some fresh air? New to jewellery and wanting to expand on your ideas? Feeling tight, uninspired or blocked?
Viscous, rubbery, taut, brittle, resonant, tinny, woolly, furry, silky, splintery: this workshop will be a playdate with a range of non-traditional jewellery materials from around the house, your craft stash/shed or recycling bin. We’ll investigate the properties and possibilities of different materials, collaboratively work up some ideas via a series of exercises, look at a variety of joining & construction methods, and make a variety of test pieces to expand upon.
You may bring your own materials or find some at Reverse Garbage on our morning visit.
Join award-winning sculptor & jeweller Margarita Sampson for a gentle, non-competitive exploration of materials & concepts, creative exercises, mindful working, skill-sharing, remembering how to collectively play.
You may also end up with a finished work, a series of experiments, new friends, new perspectives & ideas.
There will be chocolate! There will be cake! There will be no judgement! It’s time to forget about the goalposts and just have a kick-around in the park with some mates.
What you will learn
- Creative exercises to encourage exploration of materials & concepts
- Mindful working, skill-sharing, remembering how to collectively play.
- You may also end up with finished work, a series of experiments, new friends, new perspectives & ideas.
What you will get
- Working with like minded creatives in an inspiring and well equipped creative space
- Introduction to relevant machinery, tools & safety procedures.
- Introduction (with worksheet) to properties of various materials & cold joining techniques
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil and your ideas and creativity
- A shopping bag of any recycled or new materials you fancy, these might include wool, textiles, plastics (2 lt milk bottles (washed!) are good), aluminium cans, wire, cord, craft materials, polymer clay, shim, natural & found materials, scalpel/scissors, cutting mat if you have one, journal, pens/textas, some old glossy magazines
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to wear
All students must wear enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately
No previous experience in design or jewellery making is required.
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.