See Sydney from a different perspective
This night photography workshop is run on various Thursday or Friday evenings throughout the year.
Runs from 6pm to 9pm OR (7pm to 10pm during daylight saving).
Spend an exciting evening learning from a working pro photographer as you capture Sydney’s beautiful lights and iconic harbour-side landmarks. As the city lights come on, and the city comes alive, you will learn creative techniques to help you create postcard quality images in this fun, inspirational and eye-opening experience. Your night photography workshop begins with a harbour-side brief and introduction by your Tutor. As night falls, a whole new world of subjects come to life as you spend the evening exploring the bright lights of the amazing Sydney Harbour and its surrounds.
MAXIMUM NO. OF STUDENTS PER CLASS IS 10
Learn to find inspiring subject matter after dark
From the moving ferry lights on the harbour to the neon lights of the central business district, the night photography workshop will introduce you to some very simple yet very creative tips and techniques involved in shooting after dark in Sydney.
Control your camera manually as you learn how to expose for mood, capture light blur trails, zooming and light painting techniques, creative portraits at night and much more.
For beginners looking for a fun and exciting introduction to digital photography or enthusiasts looking to brush up on their technique. All you need is a Digital SLR, Hybrid or Micro camera with full manual controls, a sturdy tripod and lots of memory space.
NOT SUITABLE FOR COMPACT CAMERAS WITHOUT FULL MANUAL CAPABILITY.
A TRIPOD IS ESSENTIAL FOR THIS WORKSHOP – Please note – we do NOT loan tripods.
* A final weather check will be conducted with the Bureau of Meteorology on the afternoon of each workshop. This may lead to the workshop being postponed in cases of unfavourable weather reports. The workshop may run in cases of light showers but not in persistent showers or heavy rain.
N.B. Classes are run subject to acquiring minimum numbers
Basic overview of some of the topics that may be covered:
- Shooting neon signs & fireworks
- Photographing the moon
- Night landscapes
- Night portrait
- Long exposure techniques
- Using movement
- Safety, camera care & security
- Working with available light
- Introduction to manual exposure
- Working with abstracts
- Thinking outside the square
- White balance techniques
- Creative light painting techniques
This night photography workshop is suitable for both beginners and amateurs using Digital SLR, Hybrid or Micro camera with manual capability.
The workshop is not recommended for compact cameras without full manual mode.
Note: A tripod is ESSENTIAL for this workshop. A lens hood & wide angle lens are recommended. If you do not already have a lens hood or tripod – you should consider purchasing them at your earliest convenience as they are an essential part of any good photography kit.
This class takes place on various Thursday or Friday nights from 7pm-10pm during daylight saving and from 6pm-9pm for the remainder of the year
- Capture Sydney’s beautiful lights and iconic harbour-side landmarks!
- Learn how to expose for mood, capture light blur trails, zooming and light painting techniques, creative portraits at night.
- Professional and experienced Photographer/Tutor for 3 hours tuition
- Your camera(s)
- A sturdy tripod (this is essential). Please note – we do NOT loan tripods.
- A selection of lenses if you have more than one and you would like to experiment with them
- A torch (to be used in exercises)
- Lens hood if you have one
- Blank formatted memory card(s)
- Fully charged camera battery and spare if you have one
- Your cameras manual(s) – for referencing those hard to find features
Dress casual & comfortable with sensible shoes (you may get a little dirty at some locations)
Suitable for both beginners and amateurs using Digital SLR, Hybrid or Micro camera with manual capability.
Vendor since 2016
Sydney Photographic Workshops offers a wide range of photography workshops for you to choose from. Whether it’s a specific topic like people or travel, or an introduction to DSLR photography, our workshops & courses are designed to suit any skill level.
Browse through our selection of Sydney based photography workshops and courses to see which fits your needs. If you’re still stuck, contact us and one of our professional team will advise you on what photography workshop or course will be the best fit.