Over 12 hours, make this classic swing coat, featuring; a double breasted front for warmth, an oversized asymetric collar and bell sleeves. The coat is fully lined, as well as being fully interlined with a fleece interfacing, and includes side pockets. It will stand the test of time, with your high quality construction and the pattern's detailed inclusion of facings throughout where the coat joins to linings.
This course will be offered only once in Winter 2018.
Click here to see many more photos of our featured coat.
With the support and guidence of an experienced teacher, you will learn advanced skills that you'll be able to incorporate into your future sewing projects, including;
Block fusing interfacing, pattern placement, transferring pattern markings, tracing off and cutting out technique. Creating a centre back pleat with pleat patch, how to sew professional darts and press to shape. Inserting pockets bags with full facings, attaching a faced asymetrical collar. How to set in sleeves with ease, sew fully lined sleeves with facings and bagging out the fully lined coat. Pressing and tailoring techniques for a professional shape, tricks and tips to working with thicker fabrics, hand tacking facings.
Photographed Sample: This hot pink wool (from The Fabric Store in Brunswick) coat has been completly interfaced with a fusible lining. The closure is a vintage rose belt buckle and the fabric's selvedges have been used as a feautre in the collar seams.
See other photos of our bottle greeen coat sample and others made in class in this Facebook album - click here.
Our Coat patterns cover a bust measurement from 81cm to 100cm. If your measurements fall outside this range, please shoot us an email to prepare your pattern (a few days advanced notice is needed).
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- Taking measurements and choosing the right size, pattern placement and transferring markings, cutting technique.
- How to set in a sleeve with ease, bag out a fully lined coat and achieve professional finishes, .
- Using soft fleece interfacing, sewing a garment with darts, pleats, facings on pockets, sleeves, hem and centre front.
- A beautiful statement piece that will stand the test of time - made by you!
- Complete instructions to making the swing coat and the support of your teacher throughout
- A copy of the coat pattern
- Thread matching your main fabric
- 3 metres of heavy weight coating; boiled wool, tweeds and wool blends are ideal
- 3 metres of lining fabric
- Coat closures to your own preference; frog closures, toggles, rivet studs or 4 to 6 large buttons
- 3 metres of low or medium volume fleece interfacing (fusible or non-fusible)
✄✄✄ You've made several items, know basic pattern markings & sewing lingo. But most importantly you want to take on a challenge!
Vendor since 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.