Over 12 hours, make this classic swing coat, featuring; a double breasted front for warmth, an oversized asymetric collar and bell sleeves. The coat is fully lined, as well as being fully interlined with a fleece interfacing, and includes side pockets. It will stand the test of time, with your high quality construction and the pattern's detailed inclusion of facings throughout.
Click here to see many more photos of our featured coat.
With the support and guidence of an experienced teacher, you will learn advanced skills that you'll be able to incorporate into your future sewing projects, including; Fusing interfacing, pattern placement, transferring pattern markings, tracing off and cutting out technique. Creating a centre back pleat with pleat patch, how to sew professional darts and press to shape. Inserting pockets bags with full facings, attaching a faced asymetrical collar. How to set in sleeves with ease, sew fully lined sleeves with facings and bagging out the fully lined coat. Pressing and tailoring techniques for a professional shape, tricks and tips to working with thicker fabrics, hand tacking facings.
See other photos of our bottle greeen coat sample and others made in class in this Facebook album - click here.
Our Coat patterns cover a bust measurement from 81cm to 100cm. If your measurements fall outside this range, please shoot us an email to prepare your pattern (a few days advanced notice is needed).
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- Taking measurements and choosing the right size, pattern placement and transferring markings, cutting technique.
- How to set in a sleeve with ease, bag out a fully lined coat and achieve professional finishes, .
- Using soft fleece interfacing, sewing a garment with darts, pleats, facings on pockets, sleeves, hem and centre front.
- A beautiful statement piece that will stand the test of time - made by you!
- Complete instructions to making the swing coat and the support of your teacher throughout
- A copy of the coat pattern
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Thread matching your main fabric
- 3 metres of heavy weight coating; boiled wool, tweeds and wool blends are ideal
- 3 metres of lining fabric
- Coat closures to your own preference; frog closures, toggles, rivet studs or 4 to 6 large buttons
- 3 metres of low or medium volume fleece interfacing (fusible or non-fusible)
✄✄✄ You've made several items, know basic pattern markings & sewing lingo. But most importantly you want to take on a challenge!
Vendor since 2013
Learn to sew and make your own clothes.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here.
Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
Cancellations or Request for Change:
- Participants may request a transfer to their booking without penalty up until seven (7) days prior to the course or workshop start date.
- Participants cancelling their booking up until seven (7) days prior to the course or workshop start date will receive a refund less a $10 administration fee.
- Requests to change received less than 7 days before an event will incur a 30% administration fee (including GST).
- Requests to cancel received less than 7 days before an event will receive a partial refund – incurring a 30% administration fee (including GST).
- Cancellation or requests to transfer received the day before, the day of, or after a course start will not be eligible for a refund, are not eligible for transfer, and are not eligible for credit towards another course.
- Bookings (without date changes) are fully transferrable to another person without incurring any penalty.
Notice periods above are based on your original booking date, if a transfer has been made, the notice periods do not reset.
Any refunds are made to the original method of payment.
Last updated 22nd May 2019.
This policy is available for viewing on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/
We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card.
Unfortunately, we can’t tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
The full terms and conditions are available on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/