Kid's Wheel Throwing (ages 8+) - Mon & Tues 4.15pm
Discover wheel throwing at Clay Talk @ Montsalvat after school this term - the perfect opportunity for kids/teenagers (8 years and over) who love art to extend their skills or dive in for the first time.
In this 1.5 hour after school class on Mondays and Tuesdays 4:15pm-5:45pm, students will learn to throw on the Potter’s Wheel. We will teach the basic skills involved in throwing small vessels, how to turn, trim and finish their bowls and cups and learn to decorate with coloured slips whilst having tonnes of fun in the process!
There is a strong emphasis on wheel throwing but students will also have the opportunity to learn the basic skills of hand building so they can experience both of the two main methods of making with clay.
Children will decorate up to 10 of their favourite pieces for glazing and firing by our expert technician. Work will be ready for collection 2-4 weeks after course completion.
Your tutor this term will be Jessie Pittard of Glen Park Studios in Eltham.
Jessie is a passionate printmaker and ceramicist. Growing up with both parents involved with ceramics, she has spent her life immersed in clay. Her studies and technical training as a printmaker at RMIT have influenced her approach. Within her practice Jessie enjoys exploration and experimentation of form, design and process in both her functional ware as well as her sculptural works.
Jessie has been running her ceramic business from her studio in Eltham. You can find some of Jessies functional ceramics at the Montsalvat Shop.
Some older clothes, suitable shoes and an apron are a great idea in the pottery studio - clay can get messy! - All other materials are provided. The class will have a maximum of 9 students so there is plenty of one-on-one learning time to develop each students skills, style and/or personal project.
Children of all skill levels and abilities are welcome to join.
Teenagers over the age of 16 may be better suited to our adult pottery classes but please contact us so we can discuss specific circumstances.
What you will learn
- Express themselves through fun and imaginative play with clay
- Harness their creative spacial design skills
- How to relax and be present while being absorbed in throwing on the potter's wheel
What you will get
- Up to 10 finished pieces, decorated and glazed in a functional clear glaze ready to take home and use
What to bring
What to wear
Comfortable older clothes and closed in shoes - Clay can get messy!
Creative young minds interested in trying ceramics. You may have never touched clay before or be looking to extend your existing skills.
Vendor since 2017
Clay Talk @ Montsalvat is a ceramics facility located in the grounds of Montsalvat – Australia’s oldest continuously active artists’ community. The studio is an addition to Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced.
At Clay Talk, we aim to be a creative environment that brings students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs. Currently we offer classes where you can learn wheel throwing and hand building at all stages of development supplemented by specialist programs and workshops taught by established artists.
REFUNDS / CLASS ABSENCE / TRANSFERS
- We DO NOT offer refunds or transfers if you change your mind. Please be sure you are able to commit to the class, course or workshop dates and times prior to booking.
- We do not offer make-up classes due to our high volume of students. If you are unable to attend a class please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . In exceptional circumstances we can make alternative arrangements. Please contact us at email@example.com to check if you are eligible.
- Clay Talk reserves the right to cancel a class due to unforeseen circumstances. You will be notified prior to the class if cancellation of the class is deemed necessary and a pro-rata refund will be provided.
Clay Talk Term & Conditions
29th June 2021
Terms & Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS
To secure your place in a class, course or workshop we require full payment at the time of booking.
Bookings are only accepted through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Payments can only be made through our online portal at www.claytalk.weteachme.com/.
Clay Talk studio is located on the grounds of Montsalvat. For this reason there are security measures in place to prevent trespassing and maintain your safety.
FIRING & COLLECTION OF WORKS
- Firing of work is invoiced at $10 per kilogram for each firing. This means $10/kg for bisque, $10/kg for glaze firing.
- Students must label each of their pieces with their Makers Mark (your Makers Mark is made up of the initials of your name and your class code). No Makers Mark will mean your work will not be fired.
- Firing invoices must be paid before collection of your work.
- Work will take approximately 2-4 weeks to be fired after your class finishes and you will be notified when it is ready for collection.
- Student work must be collected within 1 month of being notified. If fired work, leftover clay and/or tools are not collected within this time it will be disposed of or donated to Clay Talk Fundraising.
- We take extreme care with your work but accidents do happen and we are unable to guarantee that your work will be successfully fired. Clay Talk takes no responsibility for failure or breakage of work.
- If a kiln shelf is badly damaged from your work due to incorrect glaze type or clay body, you will be charged for the cost of replacing that shelf.
- If your work damages the interior of the kiln, you will be required to pay a fine based on the severity of the damage to be determined by the Clay Talk Studio Coordinator.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added to our mailing list and receive notifications about what’s on at Clay Talk.
Gift vouchers are only available through our online portal www.claytalk.weteachme.com/. Gift vouchers can be purchased for a minimum of $20 and are valid for 3 years from purchase. Gift vouchers can be only be used for booking classes, courses and/or workshops through our online portal. Gift vouchers can be applied at check out when booking a class, course or workshop.
Clay Talk Term & Conditions
29th June 2021