Starting winter veggies from seed
There are loads of benefits to starting your own veggies and herbs from seed, including stronger plants, more variety, and reduced costs.
This hands-on workshop for beginners will teach you the basics of growing fresh food from seed and will cover:
- what to plant when
- how to make your own seed-raising mix
- looking after your seedlings once they’ve sprouted
- troubleshooting common problems such as poor germination, transplant shock, and pest attack.
You’ll also learn about Nillumbik’s new seed libraries, and how you can help grow, harvest, and give back to the community.
Participants will pot up a variety of veggie and herb seeds during the workshop to take home and plant in their own garden.
Jules Jay of Positive Seeds is a writer, permaculturalist, and positive psychology practitioner. She’s passionate about all aspects of sustainable living as well as helping people reconnect with nature and their community. Jules lives on an 18 acre permaculture property and convenes a local community garden called the Edible Hub.
For the past few years her research focus has been on the links between human wellbeing, arts practice, sustainability, and environment. Her particular interest is combining creative arts with permaculture teachings to design workshops and community-based programs that can help people live more happily, healthily, and sustainably.
What you will learn
- All the supplies and steps involved in growing your own fruit and vegetable plants from seed
- Troubleshooting tips for pests and other problems
What you will get
- Some potted seeds to take home for your veggie garden
While there is some parking available at the front of Edendale we would encourage you to investigate some more sustainable transport options including:
- Riding your bike
- Public Transport
- Car pooling
Some overflow parking may be available at Eltham North playground
What to bring
- Gardening gloves, note pad and pen
What to wear
beginner home gardeners and urban farmers, permaculture
Edendale is a small working farm on 7 hectares of land adjacent to the Diamond Creek in Eltham.
We are open 7 days a week 9.30 to 4.30 with the exception of Christmas Day. Entry to the farm is by a Gold Coin Donation into one of our donation boxes around the farm.
Edendale's purpose is to provide an interactive community and education centre to support sustainable living practices for the whole community.
- Local native plant nursery
- Preschool and school education programs
- Community sustainability workshops
- Family activities and events
- Cafe Eden and spaces for picnics
- Close proximity to Eltham North adventure playground reserve
- Volunteer opportunities
Edendale Farm has an average rating of 5.0 for their other classes.See other reviews
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 72 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Edendale Farm requires at least 72 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise.
- Partial refunds. Edendale Farm has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Edendale Farm does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with Edendale Farm to send someone else in your place.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Edendale Farm, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Edendale Farm or organised by Edendale Farm must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Edendale Farm
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Edendale Farm unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs, videos or recordings taken at Edendale Farm classes and events or on Edendale Farm premises. (For use of Edendale Farm marketing materials).
Photos and videos recordings will not be taken of children without written permission from parents or guardians.
Edendale Farm requires 72 hours notice in writing prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
In the event that a class is cancelled by Edendale Farm, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.