The 4-day Weekend Beginners over two weekends is a perfect introduction to jewellery making and jewellery design. All tools and base metals are provided, as well as a strip of silver for your work. This course is designed to allow students to progress through the out-set stages of jewellery making. Your tutor Vanessa Samuels will assist you with design development, technical issues and problem-solving. There is no pre-requisite for this course.
Weekend Beginner students will learn a range of fundamental techniques over the 4 full days of the course and students will make a textured ring band for practice, followed by a sterling silver piece of their own design. Processes focusing on forming and texturing such as doming, embossing and stamping will be learnt to aid inspiration.
The aim of this course is to provide students with the confidence and skills to work on individual projects while gaining a greater depth of understanding of jewellery making techniques and jewellery design starting from the ground up.
What do students learn?
Metal cutting – students are taught how to saw-pierce metal using professional jewellery saw frames
How to size your ring
Texturing and stamping – whether it’s a hammered texture, or stamping with letter stamps on metal, we have a range of tools for students to experiment with
Roller printing – learn how to impress directly on to metal using a specialist rolling mill. Print with feathers, leaves, fabric, art papers, hand cut stencils and much more
Soldering – using special jewellery torches students learn how to anneal and solder metal to join the silver together to make a ring band
Forming metal – how to shape and dome metal
Finishing – learn how to file and use emery paper to give your ring a final finish
Patinate – use a special blackening compound to highlight parts of your design
Polish – refine and perfect the surface finish of your design
Many of our students produce outstanding work and continue to specialised workshops such as Stone Setting or Wax Carving and Casting. This course also enable the student to progress to more advanced level courses such as Intermediate One Jewellery Making Course and our Jewellery Making Atelier
MEET YOUR TUTOR
Sydney-based jeweller and graphic designer, Vanessa Samuels completed an Advanced Diploma of Arts - majoring in Jewellery & Object Design at the Enmore Design Centre in 1999. Since then she has predominantly focused on creating exhibition jewellery and objects - both nationally and internationally (Germany, USA, Scotland and the UK). In 1998 she won a scholarship to the ‘Istituto Europeo di Design’, Milan-Italy to participate in a Metalwork Summer School, sponsored by Alessi. Over the years she has won various Arts grants for exhibition works, undertaken an artist-in-residence program at Sturt Gallery and other high-lights including an invitational design commission from the ‘SOCOG’ committee for the ‘Olympic Games Medals Sydney 2000 Competition’. Vanessa has given various presentations on her work practice, and conducted master classes and taught in private galleries; community colleges and residency workshops. Her work can be found in private collections and has been published in various media and book publications. Her work has been represented in galleries throughout Australia in group shows and a solo exhibition at Studio 20/17. In tandem with her jewellery practice, Vanessa has spent more than 20+ years in the publishing industry as an Art Director on lifestyle magazines in food, design, the arts and more.
- Learn all the fundamentals of jewellery making in this fun intensive jewellery course.
- Over 4 full weekend days, you’ll learn everything you need to know about how to make your own silver ring.
- Develop your design in consultation with your tutor
- Base metal sheet and wire
- Sterling silver for your first ring
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- A notebook and pen/pencil
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we do have some heating) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately
For those starting out on their jewellery making journey!
Vendor since 2016
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for our refund policy. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com.
- The course fees must be paid in full or as a pay in instalments plan on enrolment and are non-refundable.
- In the event that a course is cancelled or oversubscribed, the course fees less the 4.5% non-refundable booking fee may be refunded, alternatively SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the full fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
- Our courses are open to students 16 years and older, Jewellery Studio Bench access is open to students 18 years and older.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits are issued for non attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Some of our courses require prior learning, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as at 1 May, 2020.
Subject to change as per Government directives.
- In the event a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next date on which the course or workshop is scheduled, and notify the student of the change in a timely manner.
- In the case that the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue. No refunds will be permitted.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to latest Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors with regard to physical distancing, wearing of masks and appropriate hygiene measures whilst attending SquarePeg Studios.
- Students must not attend SquarePeg studios if they are unwell, have been in contact with a person that has tested positive to Covid-19 or returned from overseas within the past two weeks.