* PLEASE NOTE: This class is taking a short break after the June 28 class, and will resume again on August 2. Bookings may be made at any time, however the actual start date will be August 2.
This ongoing class explores a range of drawing and watercolour techniques under the guidance of Melbourne artist Judith Van Heeren, and students are welcome to join at any time.
Students will develop skills in drawing and the use of watercolours using the natural world as inspiration, and will be guided through the basics of drawing and watercolours, making a series of small studies.
More advanced students are welcome to bring their own projects to the class for assistance and feedback, or to explore tasks suggested by the teacher.
This class is suitable for both complete beginners and students with some previous experience. Each student will work at their own level with one-on-one guidance.
Throughout the course there will be practical demonstrations and the opportunity to ask questions. Students may choose to bring their own paper, brushes and watercolours or pay a small fee to have all materials provided. A materials list will be emailed upon booking.
Where to purchase your materials: The following offer our students a 10% discount
Neil Wallace Printmaking Supplies 409 Gore St, Fitzroy Tel: (03) 9419 5949
St Luke, 32 Smith St, Collingwood Tel: (03) 9486 9992
Chapman & Bailey, 420 Johnston Street , Abbotsford Tel: (03) 9417 7957
MES, 33A St David St, Fitzroy Tel: (03) 9419 5666
- An understanding of the principles of observational drawing
- Basic skills in using watercolours
- Advanced watercolour techniques
- One-on-one guidance from an established artist
- Insight into the practical application of art materials and techniques
- Great morning tea!
- Your own materials (or hire a kit from us)
Complete beginners and those wanting to develop new skills and techniques
Vendor since 2013
Established in 2009 and based on the top floor of a Victorian heritage building overlooking bustling Brunswick Street, Fitzroy Painting for Beginners is the original and best of private art classes in Fitzroy! A working artists studio, the space provides a great environment to develop your painting and drawing skills with the expert support and guidance of highly qualified teachers and full-time professional artists.
Our 4 - Week Beginners Courses are designed for the complete beginner, taking you through a series of exercises and building your skills week by week as you produce paintings to take home. Students may choose to continue to our Beginners Course: Level 2. Ongoing students are supported to help develop their own direction, with optional exercises offered to expand on skills and knowledge, and our Atelier students are assisted in taking it to the next level in professional practice.
Love the class? All students wishing to extend their course may purchase 4 or 8 - week blocks for ongoing students at a discounted rate. Some of our students have gone on to Higher Education courses and are now exhibiting professionally!
Need to miss a class? We understand busy lives and offer flexibility - just let us know in advance and we'll credit you a class. (Maximum of 2 changes per 8 weeks, ongoing and Atelier students only).
Evening classes include wine and cheese, and morning classes include tea, coffee and cakes. Classes run for 3 hours and basic equipment is available for student use at the studio, including easels, aprons, palettes and drawing boards. We believe in safe studio-practice and provide low-toxic, low-odour materials for student use, as well as high-quality clean-up materials for brushes and hands. We also have storage facilities if you wish to keep your materials at the studio.
Each student works at their own pace and receives one-on-one attention, and all students are invited to exhibit in our annual end of year exhibition, a fun opportunity to show family and friends what you’ve been doing!
Visit our website for more info and pictures of student work. www.fitzroypainting.com
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date. If available, we are happy to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $30 fee deducted on all refunds.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
Uncollected materials and artworks will be disposed of at the end of each year.