Early Bird Prices finish on 1st December, 2019
The Takli is a supported spindle designed to spin cotton quickly and efficiently. In this workshop you will learn the types of cotton fibres available to us today and the techniques to prepare, spin and finish your thread using a Takli that is yours to keep.
We will also discuss and demonstrate the Book Charka - an accelerated spindle wheel- with an opportunity to try one out during the class.
Your Tutor Jane Fitchett has been spinning for around 8 years, but have always had an interest and love for the textile crafts since I was very young. I was introduced to spinning cotton through the Guilds Certificate of Spinning course and loved it’s uniqueness and I enjoy sharing how much fun spinning cotton can be!
- The types of cotton fibres available
- How to prepare and spin cotton fibre on a Takli
- Techniques for storing and finishing spun threads
- The knowledge of what is required when spinning cotton to create thread that can be used for many different crafts such as knitting, weaving and embroidery .
- A kit that includes a Takli, so you can continue cotton spinning after the class.
- The Simple and Effective Dyeing Techniques for Cellulose Fibres on Saturday 18th January, would be an ideal follow up class to learn tips on dyeing your cotton threads spun at this class.
- A material Fee $35.00
Previous experience in spinning other fibres such as wool
Vendor since 2016
The Guild's aim is to bring together those who practise handweaving, spinning and allied crafts and to help and encourage them to increase their knowledge, understanding and skills by discussion, demonstration, exhibition, teaching and the provision of quality resource materials.
Our Guild rooms house an excellent library and craft supply, sell members work and host a wonderful range of interest groups, classes and workshops.
We have members and affiliated groups throughout the state.
Come and join us!
Cancellations and refunds
The Guild reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient numbers. If we cancel the workshop you will be notified and will be issued with a 100% refund.
If you decide to withdraw 7 or more days prior to the workshop/course date the Guild will retain a 10% administration fee.
If you decide to withdraw less than 7 days before the workshop/course date the Guild will retain 100% of your workshop fee.
No refunds for missed classes.