Early Bird Bookings finish 1st December, 2019
In this class you will learn the basic skills of weaving the Somali way. It is a form of finger weaving and in this class we will be using sticks and wool to create a wall hanging.
Your tutor Muhubo has been living in Australia with her family for about fifteen years. She is committed to keeping her cultural practices alive through teaching the Somali style of weaving that she learned as a young girl in Somlia from the women of her family. She has plans to make a business out of her weaving skills, the same as those traditionally used for making houses from grasses.
- How to weave the Somali way
- How to weave a wall hanging with wool
- How to neatly change colours and make patterns of your choosing
- Knowledge of traditional finger weaving techniques. Connection with local Somali culture
- A striking work of art to take home
- A set of instructions to refer to in class and at home
- $5.00 material fee payable to the tutor on the day.
- You can bring your own yarn if you wish – 8 ply plus
Beginners to advanced finger weavers. Strong fingers an advantage
Vendor since 2016
The Guild's aim is to bring together those who practise handweaving, spinning and allied crafts and to help and encourage them to increase their knowledge, understanding and skills by discussion, demonstration, exhibition, teaching and the provision of quality resource materials.
Our Guild rooms house an excellent library and craft supply, sell members work and host a wonderful range of interest groups, classes and workshops.
We have members and affiliated groups throughout the state.
Come and join us!
Cancellations and refunds
The Guild reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient numbers. If we cancel the workshop you will be notified and will be issued with a 100% refund.
If you decide to withdraw 7 or more days prior to the workshop/course date the Guild will retain a 10% administration fee.
If you decide to withdraw less than 7 days before the workshop/course date the Guild will retain 100% of your workshop fee.
No refunds for missed classes.