Get your hands onto the tools and craft your own box. So many things which are created from wood form the shape of a box. It’s the simplest form to create but is used in so many items of furniture that are built. This 1 day session will take you through the process of building your own hand crafted box which you can take home at the end.
Boxes can get quite detailed and technical but they can also be built very simply yet remain extremely strong and last a lifetime. We’ll start by looking over the design of the box we’re going to make and highlight the joinery which is to be crafted. We’ll go over the timber selection and get to cutting our timber into the various individual components.
Some parts will need to be cut with machines, some with hand tools but we’ll cover this a bit more on the day. We’ll show you how to assemble and clamp your box into shape and while the glue is setting you can break for lunch and explore a local brewery or restaurant. Then after lunch we’re onto sanding and finishing with a home made blend of mineral oil and locally produced bees wax to get a silky smooth feel.
Timber to build your box (Radiata Pine for softwood boxes, Tas Oak for hardwood boxes)
All the machines and tools to use in the process
Safety equipment (Eyes, Ears, Respiratory)
Sandpaper and finishing oil
Important notes to consider:
Covid Safe business plan is in operation (Masks Mandatory, sign-in book, etc)
Classes are limited to 2 people per session
Session operates from 9:00am - 4:00pm with an hour to break away for lunch (not provided) - Session may finish earlier if you’re a quick learner
Dangerous Activity Liability Waiver form is required to be signed prior to the activity commencing
Fridge available for drinks to be kept cool
Unisex bathroom available for use
What you will learn
- Attendees will learn how to use the machines and power tools to build a small box that will last a lifetime
- Learn some basic joinery and the process of finishing wood to a silky smooth finish
What you will get
- Students will take home their hand made box which can be used for all kinds of purposes
Off-street parking is available
What to bring
- A Water bottle & Mask
What to wear
Casual clothing, nothing loose or hanging to keep safe around the machines
Students must be over 18 and be in good health in order to safely operate the machines
The School of Wood is a woodworking studio hosting woodworking classes for students in Rye on the Mornington Peninsula in Melbourne.
Students can attend group classes and focus their time working on a simple woodworking project such as a keepsafe box, small table or shelves. In the woodworking class students will be taught how to safely use the machines and tools to handcraft beautiful furniture and other wooden products. Classes can be tailored depending on the skill level of the students who are attending and larger projects will be tackled as students up skill.
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 48 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, School of Wood requires at least 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email email@example.com to organise.
- Partial refunds. School of Wood has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. School of Wood does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with School of Wood to send someone else in your place.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by School of Wood, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at School of Wood or organised by School of Wood must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by School of Wood
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give School of Wood unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at School of Wood classes and events or on School of Wood premises. (For use of School of Wood marketing materials).
School of Wood requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
In the event that a class is cancelled by School of Wood, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.